Bloom times of plums/hybrids. Zone 8b, PNW

I grafted 2 Improved Satusumas this year. Not sure what Improved means except from the description from Fruitwood nursery (where I bought my scions from)

1 Like

Mariposa Plum is referred to as the Improved Satsuma,but I’m not sure if that’s what yours is.

1 Like

I believe they have both listed, so I wasn’t sure if it was the same cultivar from two different sources under different names or distinct ones.

Mine seem to bloom in this order: HOllywood, Methley, Santa Rosa, Shiro, Howard Miracle is still blooming!

John S
PDX OR

3 Likes

I am 8A PNW and our emerald beaut is most advanced in budding. No bloom, just lots of bright green buds.

It’s raining some sort of slurpee slush right now but I will look closer at the others tomorrow and report back. We do have a bavays and one simply called green gage, I will look closely at those and take pics.

1 Like

@murky do you have Howard miracle plum? How are the fruits quality? What month for harvesting? Jafar.

I do have Howard Miracle. Fruit yield and quality varies year to year. I haven’t been good on pruning or thinning. When it is good it is outstanding. Ripening overlaps with Splash Pluot. I think later than Shiro and AU Producer. Probably mid-late for Japanese plum. Maybe mid to late August.

The weather has been so variable the last few years.

My fruit ripens a week or 2 later than my old place that’s 10 or 15 miles away.

Howard Miracle can be outstanding and has unique flavor that is different some years. One year, I think we had crazy heat and it had strong rose flavor. That was just one summer, it was delicious.

Usually I prefer Splash around the same time. The window for Howard Miracle is smaller before it gets soft.

3 Likes

@murky thank you so much for all information. Sound likes some years we had enough heat the fruits tasting more flavorful. I have Howard miracle one gallon last year but now it has some little fruitlets on very few blooms. So interesting Jafar.

3 Likes

Your handle should be Delta Breeze

We’ve updated our security cameras and, at least for now, I have a garden cam:

This is the same garden that a bear climbed into, stripped the apples from the Rubinette espalier in the back right, and let himself back out. The damage was extremely minimal considering.

4 Likes

Hi @Vincent_8B ! I just joined this group and I have started growing fruit trees this year. Are you able to message me privately please? I have a few questions since I also live within the Seattle area. My partner and I are excited to hear about your own Vincent plum!

1 Like

@JoyfulKitten Hello Joy welcome to join with all of us whatever questions you would like to message me always welcome. Beside than that @Bradybb, @DennisD or more … very knowledgeable can give you a lot of fruit trees information especially in Seattle areas. Very nice to know you Joy. Vincent

2 Likes

I don’t have pictures for today as it snowed again, but I can tell you that Bavays green gage is still dormant, and Emerald Beaut plum is covered in beginnings of leaves, and what looks like future flower buds.

Just a couple days go I updated my blossoming schedule to show the schedule for all my early to mid season plum varieties. Hoping to share the data to members looking for cross pollination varieties. Only one more update left which will include my late mostly European varieties
Dennis

I think I see fruitlets on your HM Vincent! I managed to get one HM graft to take last year so I hope some day to see fruits
Dennis

1 Like

Hi @DennisD . How was your trip? Hopefully you enjoy some beautiful tropical weather there. I ordered Howard miracle plum last year. It came tiny just over a foot tall tree. Only one year with some flowers. I don’t know whether or not it has some fruits but look very promising. I should plant it long time ago. I will keep updating and look forward to tasting the fruits soon. Below its picture from last year.

Hi Vincent
We are trying a new hotel this trip, facility is very nice but the beech is not as protected as several others here in Cancun. So we are disappointed in the swimming opportunity but generally enjoying the sunny weather. Today we took a tour into an underground limestone cave. Wading thru seawater up to our necks and even swimming in the cold water. When the group turned out all headlamps, we had a total blackout of darkness unlike we have ever experienced! Only an occasional drop of water from the stalagmites could we hear, only dark and silence. I put my hand in front of my face but could not see it! This cave is 21 miles long and 2 million years old! It stretches across the Yucatán peninsula since its creation during the ice age. We could see tree roots coming thru the limestone down to the water. A lifetime experience!
Dennis

3 Likes

Oh you are still on the trip. Have a good time there Dennis.

HI Vincent.

Considering how small your Howard Miracle tree is, have you considered grafting some scion onto other more mature trees. Grafting to mature trees should speed up the time to fruit considerably. I did quite a few chip buds of Howard Miracle onto other trees last summer and the grafts took really well. I was really impressed with how well my HM and Elephant Heart chips took to other J plums/plumcots/pluots. These grafts almost always took, other varieties of plum had nowhere near the success rate they did.

Might be worthwile, as you may get to taste your HM far sooner that way.

1 Like

@tbg9b it’s very interesting. I am practicing grafting more and more. Sometimes it’s not easy with me. If a good fruit I would like to have the whole big tree instead grafting. Thank you so much. You are not too far north of my area.

1 Like