Buds Flowers and Fruit - 2024 Edition

I found the Serviceberry tree at the local park. Fruit didn’t taste like anything. No sweetness or sourness.

Well rusted though.

6 Likes

too rainy after work to take many photos but my big baby is blooming!

i love these flowers so much.

9 Likes

Looks different from what’s called service berry here. Is it an Almanchier? I guess so … Almanchier arborea??
These are a couple seedlings of mine. Almanchier alnifolia I think.

4 Likes

Some of yesterday’s harvest. Juneberries and saskatoons ripening.

7 Likes

My first little Jerseycot apricots. Pretty clean - minimal spray. I don’t know why . . . but the PCs left them alone. ??? This is a tiny apricot - sweet, but has more of what I think of as ‘apricotiness’ than the others I have. These are from a 2 year old graft on a Santa Rosa Plum tree. I placed the Jerseycot scion in a bad place, however. Gets shaded too much, I think. But, it did produce 4 little (pretty nice) apricots, in spite of this.

I have ‘Tomcot’ grafted on another tree - and the leaves and branches are in terrible shape. Rather denuded! The Robada, Harcot and Hoyt Montrose (on the same tree) are vigorous and ‘lovely’. I may cut out the Tomcot this winter - below the graft . . . and graft some of these Jerseycots in the Tomcat’s place.

IMG_2131

9 Likes

good sized juneberries. are they a cultivar or wild? i have northline, jb 30, smoky and 2 wild ones.

1 Like

I decided to punt on serviceberry here.

I marked a few wild trees this spring after they bloomed and set fruit…

I visited those last week and found them all to be like this.

They still had some unripe berries on them… a few that were red but not ripe.

I found not one ripe berry on any of them that was not covered in rust… or past that point to a shriveled up black mummy of a fruit.

I had planted a serviceberry from BRN out in my orchard… but yanked it out and tossed it in the woods.

I dont need any trouble makers around here and serviceberry was going to be trouble.

I will find something else that will grow like a weed and produce good fruit without a lot of trouble.

Evidently getting good fruit from serviceberry requires a less hot and humid climate than mine.

TNHunter

3 Likes

last years wet humid summer caused all my serviceberry to rust. im going to add them to my apple fungicide spray regimen from now on. i only spray in wet humid summers. this spring so far is pretty dry so shouldnt be a issue.

2 Likes

Only A. ovalis is native here, but I have never come across one. A. lamarckii is commonly sold by nurseries without a variety label, so likely seedling. It is very good, I have to say. As for saskatoons I have Martin, Thiessen and Prince William., but the last one struggles likely because it’s too close to the neighbours field (too hot and dry). I really like them because they are the closest thing resembling a blueberry you can effortlessly grow in our alkaline soil. The lamarckii will do great even without mulching. And they get planted in cities in between tower blocks where they get 2hours of sunlight in summer and they fruit reliably.
Plus they allegedly have no pests here if we discount the caterpillars or bugs that leave punch holes in the leaves of two of my plants.

3 Likes

Wild dog roses are nearly orange from a distance covered with rust everywhere around my area. But serviceberries are pristine so far. :crossed_fingers: :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

First strawberry guavas on my little tree

10 Likes

Powderblue Blueberry

Our “wild” mulberry red/red hybrid, sugar daddy peas

Jewel Black Raspberries, Mix Blueberries, JJ & Fall Gold Rasp. “Wild”Strawberry

Colombian Giant Blackberries changing color

Bluejay Blueberry from Lowes

Gala, just planted this year.

9 Likes

There seems to be quite a lot of these heart berries on one of my trees this year.

11 Likes

I may have picked them too early for a fair tasting. I think it may be an Autumn Brilliance. (A. Grandifloria?)

One of my Flavor Grenade dropped in it’s net.

Obviously under ripe.

Nice size though at 92 grams. I know I’ve got a few over 100g.

This one was at 11 brix.

It was edible (I ate about half of it), though just so. The pit was normally formed unlike the missing one I posted earlier…

4 Likes

i have a 20ft tall Canadian serviceberry growing out the north side of my spruce hedge screen. i just grafted it over to northline last year. it only gets about 2 hours of sun in late afternoon. fruits were good but small and few. about pea sized. my northline puts out big berries like yours. i see you like them red as well.

1 Like

I was the weird kid who would pick a ripe lemon over chocolate and still find high sugar low acid fruit mostly boring unless there’s some strong flavour or it’s cold as hell and my body switches to “give me fat and sugar or get hypothermia” mode. Still you’d find more chilli-spiked apricot fruit leather than nuts and figs in my winter trail mix. :slight_smile:
To me lamarckii fruit has stronger flavour when slightly less ripe (also the almond taste stands out more) while the flavour of alnifolia multiplies geometricaly as it ripens.

4 Likes

our tastes are the same. i like strong flavored fruit and food.

2 Likes

Spring Satin, first plum of the year. Delicious!

15 Likes

@SoMtHomestead … very nice. Love that color… looks peachie on the inside.

I have a graft of that. Hopefully some year I get to try one.

Did a quick walk to the berry patch this evening.
I need to do a long pick tomorrow… so many ripe raspberries and blueberries.

Those are still my climax blueberries… my tifblue has not ripened any yet.

Seedless concords in the background.

9 Likes