Buds , Flowers and Fruits 2022 Edition!

True that. I did grow up eating them. Have picked probably a gallon at a time mostly along little streams or edge of clearings, small fields.

But, I guess it’s not native in CA and probably is out of it’s comfort zone there.

It is on the ‘seedy’ side, but I still enjoy the jams and cobblers…(I mean I would if I could find enough for that…usually just enough for some fresh snacking at the moment.)

3 Likes

I grew up eating (wild) black raspberries as well as mulberry, (wild) blackberries, “dewberries”, huckleberries, wineberries, etc… The wild black raspberries, at least around here, are quite good. Prolific as well, I probably just cut a thousand volunteer ones with a string trimmer today :slight_smile:

I did purchase some Jewel Black a few years ago, because I wanted to see how they compared to the wild ones. Slightly larger, slightly better tasting, and at least less thorns (not that the wild ones are all that bad).

I have yet to try a yellow though and will have to check those out…

3 Likes

Any day now

5 Likes

Climax…

11 Likes

For at least 20 years rudbeckia has seeded itself. Usually 1,2 or 3 plants in random locations. This year 45 plants appeared in one spot. Those where powerful seeds.

5 Likes

Heritage red raspberries
Seedless concord grapes
Last 2 pics… Illini Blackberey… usually ripen starting June 15.

11 Likes

a long cool spring means a late start, but things are beginning. first tiny fig:

(and one that dropped)

couldn’t resist bringing in enough lilacs to smell up the whole room:

8 Likes

Lilacs smell so wonderful. I just wished they bloomed longer than they do. Lovely photo and bouquet.

2 Likes

My first Griottes! Sour cherry Montmorency. Only thirteen this year, their first year in pots; the trees are five years old. Hopefully I will see more next year! At least enough to make a pie!!!

9 Likes

Bletilla striata orquid varieties

3 Likes

Sprekelia formosissima

2 Likes

Red and pink rhododendrons.

8 Likes

I believe this is a Blue Flag iris.

6 Likes

A nice haul on raspberries today… we ate a bunch, but a nice bowl full in the fridge… and froze 3 jars for later.

Sweet scarlet goumi in background.
I think they may taste a tad bit better than red gem.

8 Likes

The last of the gariguettes and cherries. Oh well. . .

5 Likes

yours are done and mine are still flowering…

4 Likes

I had my first strawberry yesterday (forgot to take a picture), but the rest still look like they will be a week away at least. That was my first fruit of the year! Beat the honeyberries by a good measure, even though those flowered much earlier.

1 Like

Last of the flowering shrubs. Red bud mountain laurel.

8 Likes

Every days business… picking berries :wink:

10 Likes

First strawberry was also yesterday, but my honey berries started to turn two days ago. But they might just have been baked by 96 degree days.

1 Like