Buds , Flowers and Fruits 2022 Edition!

What type of cherry is in the background? It has a mottled look.

1 Like

@mrsg47 — I wish they were cherries… they do look like the bush cherries I suppose (never actually saw those in person). I bet they taste better…

Those are red gem goumi… mildly sweet, a little fruit flavor… not my fav fruit, but they are early and nitrogen fixer.

I eat them every day… and the birds have all they want and it is still loaded.

5 Likes

If I had to choose between my cherries and my goumi, I’d choose the goumi. Those raspberries, on the other hand …

2 Likes

Dessert for tonight… strawberries slowed down some… raspberries are cranking up.

8 Likes

there have been alot of new everbearring red raspberries in the last 20yrs.but heritages are still one of the best for production and taste. hands down. only reason i removed them here as they we killed before most of the fruit ripened.

1 Like

Looks delicious. My black raspberries are not even close to being ripe. the fruit is still really small and green.

1 Like

@MikeC … I had my first two black rasp yesterday… they did not make to my picture… were eaten.

Lots out there… they are my fav. Hope to get more today.

2 Likes

@steveb4 … the Heritage reds work great down here in 7a TN.

Spring crop last week in May thru most of June.

Fall crop Sept thru Nov (or first hard frost).
A couple of years ago we had a later than usual first hard frost on Dec 3. I got my last figs and raspberries on that date.

Last year it was mid Nov… which is norm.

No doubt your first hard frost comes much earlier than mine.

1 Like

Some flowers…

6 Likes

most years late sept. is killing frost but lately been late oct. some years. back when i had heritage i didnt realize they made a summer crop or i would have kept them. i have autumn britten, joan j, polka and jacyln for everbearers and prelude, cascade gold, eden for summer bearers. only eden and autumn britten come close to the real raspberry flavor of heritage. glad they work for you down there.

This is one of my favorite flowers. I tried to grow in pot several times but all ended with plant dead in couple of years

Did you try the Champaca (yellow) or Alba (white)? I hear contradicting reports of which is more hardier and more tolerant of abuse. This one is Alba and I plan to graft Champaca on it next year. I love them both

Can’t tell if these are flower buds or tiny fruits on my NG. Anybody?

5 Likes

Alba. The yellow one has different fragrance. Not as sweet as the white one

1 Like

Long harvest for Southmoon

Prime Ark Freedom floricane are out and Hall’s beauty getting ready:

Wonderful Pomegranate:

7 Likes

Tayberry canes off the end of the trellis and on the fence. Pollinators are all over the place

4 Likes

The black raspberry is my favorite as well. I have an area that they grow wild ( I did not plant them and were a small area when I moved in 20+ years ago). They are very tasty and I look forward to eating them each year. Last year we had a freeze and I had zero black raspberries last year. It was a bummer not tasting those delicious berries. I look forward to them this year. Yum!

2 Likes

I don’t think there’s any comparison…black raspberries are the best.
I dug up in December (remember those 70 degree days) and potted a bunch of tip rooted black raspberry roots. Gave some to others…don’t really have a place to plant them.
Maybe if I can keep 'em alive in pots, I’ll plant them this fall under a black walnut tree.

1 Like

Interesting. Is it one of those that you appreciate if you grew up eating it? I’ve had Jewel black raspberry for 3 years now and I am now thinking of pulling it out and planting a yellow instead. Its small, way too seedy and tastes bland. It is both vigorous and productive though. I tried everything - watering it more, less watering, fertilizing, etc. I now think thats its flavor (at least here). I like most other raspberries - sweet or sweet + tart. May be it dislikes our dry, warm weather.

2 Likes

I had Jewel, and felt the same way. Not much taste. They top rooted though and were interesting, but not worth the space. I replaced them with Anna and another yellow. Sweet as honey!

1 Like