Buds , Flowers and Fruits 2022 Edition!

Had to clean out my liquor from my frig just to make room for more apples and Asian pears.

Ok… True confession…I bought some apples from a farmer just down the street. Got a variety largely to compare taste to some of mine.

Doesn’t something seem dreadfully wrong with me buying apples! I’m always hopeful that eventually I’ll never need to buy any.

This has been an exceptional year for Asian pears. All my trees have borne fruit, some very large. I’m still eating damaged fruit first. I have all of them refrigerated in opened plastic bags. If I need to store differently let me know.

9 Likes

A nice fall treat.

5 Likes

Most of our fruits are picked. On the trees remain Florina apples, Josephine de Malines pear and Ronda quince…

12 Likes

Always tough this time of year… Fruit or liquor, liquor or fruit… I want my cake and eat it too! :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

Those are some beautiful pictures.

4 Likes

Nice looking fruit.

3 Likes

Great walnut crop this year

13 Likes

How old are the trees?

Brought in fruit today. The largest is a shinko weighing in at a pound, but all are similar in weight. One shinko from a young dwarf tree looks more like a potato than an Asian pear.

7 Likes

Herritage reds… and okra… a few cherry tomatoes… yep I needed a bigger bowl. Nice problem to have.

8 Likes

Ginger…3 pots worth. One did very well and the other 2 were somewhat shaded most of the summer. They could have done better if i would have given them more light, but this is plenty. Smells good.

12 Likes

i grew a bunch in my grow room last winter in shallow dish pans. looked like a jungle in there come april. why more people dont grow it and turmeric themselves is beyond me. try making fermented ginger ale or ginger beer. its strong flavored but i love it!

1 Like

I’ve been seeing ginger beer pop up at Kroger supermarkets…is it really good? Most stuff mixed isn’t better than either by itself.

i havent done the beer yet just the ginger ale but if you let the ale ferment longer it will turn to beer so i need to try that over the winter.

1 Like

No rain now for several weeks… okra still producing… and raspberries are extra flavorful.

8 Likes

Here are my Kieffer pears this year. This is the first year I have had any fruit off this tree. I did not spray anything on these pears.

8 Likes

There’s always a Kieffer tree that is loaded and few people pick located on US421 north out of Lexington KY at Two Brothers Nursery. Certainly good if you’re hungry, but there are better pears for sure.

2 Likes

Last hoorah for these Tomatoes.

8 Likes

Supposed to have heavy frost here Sunday morning in eastern and central Kentucky…but I’m not going to pick my green tomatoes. I’ll see if the gamble is successful in a few days.

2 Likes

@MikeC @BlueBerry

A friend gave us a bag full of keiffer pears a few weeks ago… they were rock hard initally… but after a couple weeks yellowed up some and softened… I ate one and it was quite good.

My wife made some pear preserves from some of them… and i can assure you that no one could honestly look down on keiffer pear preserves… ohhhh sooo good.

9 Likes