Candy Heart Pluerry

Vincent it’s good to head that tall growth down some to let the tree get stronger. It will grow out still but your trunk will get thicker to hold the fruit better.

3 Likes

Good idea John. Thank you.

After you chop it off, I can dispose of it for you.:innocent:

4 Likes

I chopped over 1 ft off the top today, and my Emerald Beaut plum as well. Thank you for good advising.

Vincent, I don’t know how big your tree is, but I’d head that central leader till the other branches, which I’d head back a bit as well to even things out. Check this video out.

https://youtu.be/EpU8W-H5xZ4?t=75

2 Likes

Great video. Thanks Vinod, my Candy heart is about over 6 ft tall, not much branches yet. I should trim down more, but its location right Northwest corner of the house. I like it tall to hit the morning and during the day sun shine and really like to have a couple fruits for tasting. I will keep track on its height and make sure to keep it looking good.
How many fruit trees do you have and how are they now?

If your tree grew over 6 feet tall in a season, I think you are getting enough sun. Remember that the sun angle is not really that much of a problem with deciduous fruit trees that ripen in the middle of the season. You have enough buds down low to see fruits this year.

1 Like

Sound great Vinod. I am so excited for Spring coming to see some first time fruiting from my orchard this year.

It is exciting. Don’t forget to thin hard. I’ve runted a couple of trees by letting them overproduce.

1 Like

Any fruit produced during first leaf WILL stunt the growth of the tree. I got a couple of Candy Heart fruit last season at the expanse of a smaller tree this season. This fruit is worth the wait, it ripens by mid August.

2 Likes

This is a picture of my Candy Heart today.Brady

4 Likes

Looks full and a lot of flower buds. Brady.
Here the closer looks of mine.

3 Likes

My sweet treat hasn’t any flower buds yet how can it pollinate my Candy Heart as recommended.

I noticed today that my Candy Heart has a good set. It’s too early to tell about Nadia.

1 Like

Have you tasted this one yet? Don’t feel like I’ve heard a report on this one before.

I haven’t tasted CH. Did taste Nadia last yr and wasn’t overly impressed. But it takes a couple of yrs to get a good reading on eating quality.

2 Likes

I never knew how true it was until I started trying to trace a mislabeled Pluot I got by accident. You’ve probably seen the story on it before, but the point here is that I started learning how many commercial varieties are out there and its shocking. No matter how many on-line retail nurseries we go to, its always the same 6 or 7 pluots at best. But there are DOZENS of commercial varieties.

I’m curious, and sure some of you can explain it, but what is the harm - from the tree seller’s point of view- in not releasing these commercial varieties to backyard growers? Even if every back yard grower in America planted a commercially sold Pluot, it wouldn’t have an impact on the retail sale of that pluot’s fruit would it? And if the fear is that back-yard growers would be more likely to illegal copy/propagate a tree, surely no large commerical grower would accept one and build a huge orchard from unlicensed stock, right? So…what is the reason. Why have this big divide?

BTW…here is just a small sample of the commercially available varities…just the fruits that ONE COMPANY sells!

http://www.kingsburgorchards.com/pluot-plumcot-downloads

2 Likes

I’m a member of the Dave Wilson Forums, and DWN say they are worried about other countries, like China, buying one and propagating. Seems far fetched, it was their only reason. Worried about losing royalties. I guess theft from DWN has happened before too, new types stolen.
I guess if I can get my hands on them anybody can, so it doesn’t work anyway.

1 Like

Ahhh…ok. Seems silly but I guess its possible. BTW…which ones did you get your hands on and how? Just curious.

I also think it’s more about the royalties.
I remember there was a thread here about a year ago where several members wanted to buy some commercial varieties in numbers of threes because that was the supposed minimal number per variety (the thread got later locked/deleted because it got unwanted attention from outside).
Well how difficult is it for any party that would be interested in these varieties to buy few of each. That’s a really weak explanation.
I am in Europe and the way it’s done here: commercial farmer sends out a nursery catalog to his friends (and they send it to their friends), everybody preorders, farmer brings trees in a truck, sells with some extra charge. Farmer is happy and home growers as well :slight_smile:

3 Likes