Central Midwest - KS, MO, OK

Ice fog here this morning so driving or walking is not advised. It has been oddly calm and warm without any sunshine. It is Saturday night / Sunday morning.

1 Like

Are we going to frost free now? I am going to plant tomatoes tomorrow evening.

1 Like

Maybe I’ll just plant some tomatoes tonight, looks like it might be chilly Saturday night.

Don’t put all your eggs in one basket. Plant out only a portion and if they die you still have the remainder. I direct sowed some beans yesterday and will start a small tray indoors to fill in where the weather kills them. I’m gonna say we have one more frost left. It is just brewing in the Arctic still.

2 Likes

Wind speeds in Kansas tend to cut down on people wanting to move here. It has been windy at my location for a couple of weeks. How is everyone else doing? Anyone own a wind generator yet?

wind gusting to 40mph… too windy to be outside working in the garden or orchard, or spray or burn or do any useful work in general!

1 Like

@KSprairie

Have the winds been ripping through your area for awhile now with an occasional break here and there? Think we may be hitting 40 mph towards the end of the day. It is hard to tell the difference between 30, 40, and 50 mph! Very glad i dont have trees full of fruit. All my grafts are cleft this year. Hopefully none will be impacted. It is not fast enough to break limbs yet.

1 Like

Yes, we have had very high winds with the occasional 10-15mph day.
I agree! Once you get over 25 to 30 mph, it’s hard to tell the difference.
Today’s gusts were over 40, according to a local weather station. Tomorrow is supposed to be much more calm, around 10mph I think.
I have only done a few grafts so far, all clefts. One got hit by brush blowing through the yard and I reset it, but I will probably just make a new graft now that things are calming down.
It sure blew all the blossoms off quickly. Plum, apricot, peach (although we had very few peach fruit buds make it through the winter) most affected. So far Shinseiki (maybe Nijiseiki too), Harrow Delight, and Buford pear are my only pears blooming.

1 Like

In addition to the 40 mph wind gusts yesterday, we were gifted with 25 degrees this morning. They’re forecasting another late frost this coming weekend as well.

2 Likes

Windy here yesterday as well, 34 degrees at the house this morning, there was frost in the valley below.

1 Like