Clark's Crabapple

How did everyones grafts do this year?

2 Likes

Over half the grafts I did with it on M26 failed after initially appearing successful. The four survivors are healthy and the graft unions are now buried to encourage rooting of the scions. All three pieces top worked onto wild M. fusca took and grew well.

3 Likes

Lost my two limb grafts to fireblight :frowning_face: but have one graft on MM106 growing fine in the the nursery. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

@greyphase

Fireblight has been bad this year on everything here as well.

2 Likes

All the grafts I did took. The bench graft obviously grew the most, the Frankentree grafts not as much. Look forward to trialing this variety here in the north country.

4 Likes

I grafted several and all have grown well. A few appear to have formed fruit buds.

4 Likes

All CC grafts here growing well.

4 Likes

I grafted six and had three to take. Not a great success rate, but it was my first year grafting. I also potted them up because of our hot, dry summers. I figured I would have better luck keeping them watered if I kept them close to the house with an eye on them. I intend to set them out into the orchard in the next few weeks. Two are on G11 and one is on M111. The M111 looks more vigorous and I will be interested to see how the two different rootstocks affect Clark’s Crab.

3 Likes

Although I get a good take rate now it took a while to get pretty good at grafting. You did much better than I did when I first started. Good luck with your new CC.

5 Likes

I was able to get 3 grafts from one of mikes beautiful scions and all are currently growing nicely on b.118

8 Likes

I grafted one on mm111 and it took, looks good. Potted still. I have one in the ground since last January on mm111 and it’s doing well, even after getting a little nibbled by a naughty buck sometime in July.

7 Likes

What is the acid to sweet ratio on the crab? When does it start to ripen? I’m grafting it this upcoming season. Seems to be very few late ripening fresh eating crabs.

3 Likes

Thanks for the encouragement, Bill! I can’t wait to try again next year.

I see that you are a graphite portrait artist. I love to work in graphite, colored pencil and pastel when I can sit still long enough. I’d love to see some of your work!

4 Likes

Good work, Everette! I felt like Mike’s beautiful scions were wasted on me, but at least I had some success. I love your web site, by the way.

6 Likes

Thanks Deb! That means a lot! The nursery business has been a huge leap of faith and I’ve been having a blast so far. Can’t quit my day job yet but I can’t wait to continue to grow and learn as a nurserymen. Good luck with your future grafting. It takes a bit, but 50% take rate is nothing to be ashamed of for your first go round!. Good luck.

6 Likes

@Robert

It has a very good balance. It is the type of apple you will keep going back for more of them. It is late ripening and long keeping. It will keep into spring of the next year without refrigeration.

5 Likes

All but 1 of mine took.

5 Likes

My grafts took very well on b.118, and enough dormant buds sprouted that I’ll even cut some scion from them this winter. Very excited to see how it does in the North East.

5 Likes

I put several bark grafts of CC on a G 30 leader so will have a few scions to share. PM me in Jan.

4 Likes

My graft onto M111 was the only one that took and it’s doing really well so far.

8 Likes