Cosmic Crisp commentary

Not sure I share all his conclusions but the article is readable.

4 Likes

It seems like Cosmic Crisp is a grower-friendly apple that checks all the same boxes as many modern club apples. This one just has a louder chorus of people behind it yelling: You’ll like me… like me… like me!

5 Likes

Like most ‘news’, the article has a ‘slant’ from the beginning. But, it might be that money and promotion push the apple to the top, at least for a while.

I’ll grow the unusual and let the stores sell the highly promoted–if they can.

5 Likes

As a tree it probably would not produce in my climate even if it was available. Honeycrisp won’t.

Debating with myself whether or not to eat one. I eyeball them every time I go into K Rogers. Did not see anyone buying them. If it was not for this forum CC would just be another grocery store apple to me. I suspect that will be how a lot of consumers view them. My .02 cents.

2 Likes

I tried one, it was boring and one-dimensional. Not even the best grocery store apple. The best way to put it might be that it’s good in every way but flavor. Good size, nice texture, a good amount of juice, lots of sugar, but the flavor resembled a glass of Mott’s apple juice.

2 Likes

Chances are that’s exactly what the average consumer wants. The people posting on a forum dedication to discussing fruit are about as far from the average consumer as you can get.

6 Likes

Cosmic Crisp is a wonderful apple. One of my favorites.

But it is heavily promoted and will become even more ubiquitous than Red Delicious at its peak. Given how common this great tasting apple will be, I see zero reason to grow it personally.

2 Likes

I agree with you. I will buy some rather than have a tree space dedicated to something I can pick up at the store. If it is going to be that popular you will be able to probably get them pretty much year round.

3 Likes

I put one in last year as I was looking for long storage keeping. I’ve tried a few some we’re excellent while some were mediocre. Time will tell.

3 Likes

Given this thread I bought a couple of these. My younger daughter is a huge Apple fan. She did not care for CC at all. She found it good, disliked the skin and felt it compared very unfavorably to the last couple apples she had eaten (both were Autumn Glory apples)

Scott

3 Likes

I tried my first sample over Christmas. Pretty good, but maybe just a touch too sweet on the sweet tart scale. I would choose it any chance over a Red Delicious.

Trees For sale only in Washington adds to the intrigue and given the millions and the fact that it isn’t (entirely?) a club variety I’m sure it won’t be long before trees escape the state. I can see the uni wanting its royalties - I really can’t see the sense in pumping massive money into marketing but self imposing a handicap to limit growing to WA only. I saw somewhere that Cosmic was only rated to usda zone 5 or 6, but that doesn’t seem to make sense given its parentage.

Had my first Cosmic Crisp over the Holidays.  I totally dislike them and wish I could

give away the rest of the box. Was convinced to buy them from a friend that said it
was so great. Mine are hard and tart and not that tasty.

1 Like

My opinion is that Cosmic Crisp will be a limited success, at least in the grocery stores. Apples unlike peaches are sold by variety name and the one thing younger people like is variety (as in many selections). One massive bin of Cosmic Crisp apples at your local supermarket is not getting to cut it with young people. Think craft beer and alcohol and the boom the last 10 - 15 years or so in breweries, distilleries and vineyards promoting unique beer, wine and spirits. Variety is what people want.

1 Like