Cross pollination between d.lotus and persimmon?

I have male diospyros lotus tree and i am wondering is it possible cross pollination between d.lotus and diospyros kaki (Asian persimmon)?.

And what will be results of that pollination?, seed in fruits?.
Both variety blooms in same time so i suppose they should be able to cross pollinate.

1 Like

Very unlikely that they could pollinate each other

1 Like

There is a ROJOBRILLANTE x LOTUS hybrid

3 Likes

Here is some info a friend gave me on the Lotus hybrids

Hello Daniel,

For hybrids with D. Lotus, to my knowledge only two exist or have existed. The Russian had made a hybrid Kaki X Lotus. I was told they had given up.

This type of cross is subject to discussion because D.Lotus has a chromosome. D. Kaki 90 chromosomes and D. Virgininia 60 and / or 90 chromosomes.
In China there will be D. Lotus with large orange fruit. There would be 2 in France too. That’s D. Lotus would be Lotus Hybrids / khaki. the number of chromosomes should allow hybridization.

For the ROJO BRIANTE X LOTUS, it would have been created in Portugal. I got it from a contact in Spain. It is not diffussed.
The description that is made is: Non-astringent fruit (which amazes me to see the parents), size of a tangerine and color rather to orange red.
I grafted in spring 2017, so not yet seen the fruit.
However, it is the variety that has resumed most quickly on D. Lotus. Very good compatibility. Khaki leaf. Medium to strong growth.

3 Likes

I have found this information’s about hybridization kaki :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I read the same thing, the hybrids really interest me . Especially interspecific hybrids. The introductions of new hybrids allow us to play around with more genes and if the RB x Lotus hybrid is real it may open many new doors if fertile.

2 Likes

Nikitskaya Bordovaya is the variety known as Nikita’s Gift in the U.S. Bordovaya means wine-red colored (like bordeaux) in Russian.

2 Likes

There is also a Nikitskaya Bordovaya no2

1 Like

D. kaki x D. lotus = “successful, but not rewarding”. To me that just means that the F2 and F3 generations are where the rewards would happen. That is often the case. In the first generation you just get a 50:50 cross, but in the second and successive generations you can get enough mixing that some plants will possess certain traits from one species or the other like perhaps the full hardiness of D. lotus and the full large fruit size of D. kaki.

1 Like

Can diospyrus lotus pollinate diospyrus virginiana persimmon?

1 Like

The best I recall, D. Lotus is diploid and D. Virginiana is either tetraploid or hexaploid depending on region. If Lotus pollinated tetraploid, the result would be triploid which would be unlikely to be viable. If it pollinated hexaploid, the result would be tetraploid which in theory might be viable. There is one huge problem. This does not address the most likely showstopper which is endosperm incompatibility.

1 Like

@Fusion_power

Have a gold mine of lotus that have now adapted to this area. Soon i will have endless rootstocks as these are suckering now from the parents. Early golden will need a pollinator to increase production. Have lotus males nearby. Male virginiana are a to far away to pollinate early golden. I can graft male virginiana to lotus which will work fine. These are pictures of new trees coming up from the lotus roots to form a thicket. Only have one tree that does this but it will come in handy in the future.

These lotus were clearly male trees but in 2015 over 8 years ago i did not realize the difference. There has been no need to remove them since they are hardy now to my area. They make great rootstocks! As the picture reveals there are to many blooms indicating a definate male tree. We have been around persimmon all my life and i’m still learning things i should have known 40+ years ago.

Here is a video by @misoo83 above with both female and male lotus flowers

Early golden will have some fruit without a pollinator but more with one. " Pollination Requirements : Early Golden American Persimmon is partially self-fertile. Plant with our Male Persimmon to ensure good crops."Early Golden American Persimmon - One Green World . Someone may be new to the site and have no idea what im talking about when i asked “Can diospyrus lotus pollinate diospyrus virginiana persimmon?” which this will explain Diospyros virginiana - Wikipedia
" Diospyros virginiana grows to 20 m (66 ft), in well-drained soil. The tree is typically dioecious, so one must have both male and female plants to obtain fruit. Most cultivars are parthenocarpic (setting seedless fruit without pollination). The fragrant flowers are pollinated by insects and wind. Fruiting typically begins when the tree is about 6 years old.

The fruit is round or oval and usually orange-yellow, sometimes bluish, and from 2 to 6 cm (3⁄4 to 2+1⁄4 in) in diameter. Both the tree and the fruit are referred to as persimmons, with the latter appearing in desserts and cuisine in the U.S. South and Midwest.

Commercial varieties include the very productive Early Golden, the productive John Rick, Miller, Woolbright and the Ennis, a seedless variety. Another nickname of the American persimmon, ‘date-plum’ also refers to a persimmon species found in South Asia, Diospyros lotus. Today, persimmons are also grown on small farms as a heritage crop." Date-plum - Wikipedia " Diospyros lotus , with common names date-plum, Caucasian persimmon, or lilac persimmon, is a widely cultivated species of the genus Diospyros , native to subtropical southwest Asia and southeast Europe. Its English name derives from the small fruit, which have a taste reminiscent of both plums and dates. It is among the oldest plants in cultivation." not to be confused with Diospyros kaki - Wikipedia
" Diospyros kaki , the Oriental persimmon ,[2] Chinese persimmon , Japanese persimmon or kaki persimmon ,[3] is the most widely cultivated species of the genus Diospyros . Although its first botanical description was not published until 1780,[4][3] D. kaki is among the oldest cultivated plants, having been in use in China for more than 2000 years."

3 Likes

Supposedly the ancient Greeks reference to the “lotus eaters” east of the Black Sea were consuming diospyros lotus.

1 Like