Death of Red Delicious: Premium 'Club' Apples Are Taking Over

They’re there, just hard to see with the camera angle.

Our valley heat turns them a buckskin color, not nearly as good of quality as in the mountains, we have a boatload of other varieties that do better.

4 Likes

The the bumps and shape of commercial Red Delicious are also enhanced by application of Promalin during development.

1 Like

I stopped buying apples altogether, it is too hit and miss. RD went down the tubes for taste, HC is following, Golden Delicious is tasteless, as is Granny Smith, and the last Pink Lady apples I bought the skin was downright leathery. I would rather buy oranges, grapes, and bananas, and eat the apples I have harvested myself. But… I am not in apple country and all of the apples we get are stored and then shipped. The only really good apple is a macintosh from BC fresh in the fall.

3 Likes

I have been trying different club apples from different supermarkets to see if I like them. I have not been impressed so far. The quality has been no better than a normal non club apple but the price is higher.

Based on my experience so far, the club apple concept could be a big failure

2 Likes

Great looking apple. Is that the Hawkeye variety?

I remember getting a huge Red Delicious apple in my Christmas stocking every year when I was a small child. They looked so beautiful but tasted like wet cardboard inside. That was 55+ years ago. They have ruined the taste of that variety that many years ago. Yet, most people when they think “apple” thinks of a bright red Red Delicious apple automatically. Washington State Apple Association has done a great job of advertising over the years to get us to think like that.

Never had a good Red Delicious but mine are all store bought. We have lots of orchards around here but I don’t think they grow Red Delicious, at least that I’ve heard/seen.

1 Like

I have not tried every club apple currently on the market nor did I like everyone I tried. But of those I have tried and liked. There have been good,bad , and great tasting apples. Part of the blame has to fall on the retail chain. I get great jazz apples in nj at shopright and terrible apples at seabra a Brazilian grocery chain. Then again seabra carries loquats, flavor grenade and three other pulots not named dragon eggs over the season.

Old thread, I know.

I bought my first Ambrosia apples today. After eating one I had to come here to find out if it is another club apple I won’t be able to grow. That appears to be the case. Bummer. I really enjoyed the one Ambrosia I’ve eaten.

Does anybody know how Ambrosia compares to Candy Crisp taste wise? One reason I bought them was that they looked a lot like the pictures of the Candy Crisp apples I’ve seen (I’ve never tasted a CC and my only tree bit the dust a couple winters ago).

I only tried Ambrosian once. Reminded me of Yellow Delicious…which isn’t a favorite apple of mine.
If we had millions of dollars to brag on our apples…I am sure there are better apples out there than the new (2019) Cosmic Crisp. (But if it’s disease free and keeps a year in cold storage…they’ll definitely convince enough people to get their investment back.)

1 Like

Ambrosia does look a bit like Yellow Delicious, but they don’t (to me anyway) resemble them in flavor or texture. Maybe I just got a “good” one? The Ambrosias I bought had the characteristic “bumps” on the bottom like a Red Delicious. The pictures of Candy Crisp I’ve seen from Stark Bros. also have those bumps, and I believe Candy Crisp is thought to have Red Delicious as one parent.

I will say they are relatively one noted taste wise. Certainly not complex, that’s for sure. Sweet, crunchy, juicy…those would be my descriptors

Yeah, they’re pretty sure Red Delicious and Yellow Delicious are the parents of Ambrosia…a chance seedling.

1 Like

I ate a Candy Crips and Ambrosia could not be more diffrent. Candy Crips was sickly sweet and tasted like old lady purse candy. It was the first apple I disliked because it had to much flavor. I mean I would absolutly grow it if I had a chance. My kids will probley love it and I can shock a few adults with it.

anyway if memory serves me correctly Ambrosia was just a yellow delicious type.

Edit: originally posted the wrong photo.

4 Likes

Just curious, What does “old lady purse candy” taste like?

4 Likes

I think Evercrisp is decent. Certainly this Honeycrisp x Fuji cross is tastier to me than the Honeycrisp x Enterprise apple (Cosmic Crisp).

2 Likes

I found a site selling it. The comments are accurate
http://www.2daydeliver.com/product_detail.php?id=SKUB00J4WSPBQ&last_node=Hard+Candies&click_src=bingads#hires_images

1 Like

Sen-Sen, I expect.

1 Like

I just never heard anyone call hard candies or Christmas hard candies “old lady purse candies”. I am getting old and will not carry those candies in my purse just to confuse people :wink:

5 Likes

I’m still laughing. I love those candies!!! :grin:

3 Likes

I’m rolling!!! Old ladies purse candy :joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes