Death of Red Delicious: Premium 'Club' Apples Are Taking Over

I tried Evercrisp this winter (actually ate a bushel of it) for the first time, and I like it very much. IMHO it is better than Fuji (which is one of my favorites), and definitely way above Honey Crisp.

2 Likes

@lordkiwi Your photo shows Crimson Crisp, is that what you meant to describe? or is it really Candy Crisp and you posted the wrong photo? :blush:

1 Like

Two of my favorite club apples are Envy and Kiku. There are a few more that I have not try yet like Opal, Pacific Rose, Bonita and kanza. What are yours favorite club apples?

After trying several Club apples, all from the stores, I come to a conclusion that it really depends on how fresh those apples are when you buy them.

Same apples from different storage conditions taste quite different. If you try those from a subpar condition, they are not as good as advertised. Common traits of them are sweetness and crispness. Some have more balanced taste than the others.

3 Likes

Wow it was late. I replaced the picture with the correct one.

1 Like

I strongly suspect thats part of the purse candy blend

1 Like

Lint

2 Likes

I don’t know, is Opal a ‘club apple’? (It is from Europe, and just one Washington State grower has exclusives on it.) I will say, it’s one of just 2 or 3 that I’ve bought more of after the first purchase. (3# bag for $3.99 at Meijers). The smaller ones are better than the big ones.

Anyhow, I’ve tried several, but don’t think I’ve seen Pacific Rose. And other than Opal, which exceeds Yellow Delicious, they’re all good, but not good enough to stand in line for or pay a premium for. I bought 3 Sweet Tango, and depending on if I refrigerated, kept at room temp, etc…they didn’t taste the same, as they begin to get mushy they are sweeter and the ‘tango’ has mostly gone.

@BlueBerry,
So far, Opal is the only yellow skin club apples.

Want To Grow These Apples? You'll Have To Join The Club : The Salt : NPR

1 Like

We all had them, not just old ladies. My dad loved them!

1 Like

I heard very good things about Evercrisp, unfortunately I did not have a chance to taste it yet.
I don’t think the apple is resistant to scab, is it? Usually the new breeding efforts all are

1 Like

Pacific Rose is quite good, it doesn’t need much care, no sprays whatsoever. It suffers for bitter pit though. Kiku is great, but sometimes too big, has some water core issue .
I love Opal right off the tree, it is my favorite apple in that time frame. Kanzi is just like Jazz, it has tendency to rot on the tree, especially if damaged by coddling moth.
Junami is very good, I prefer apples that are a bit sour and this one has the right balance for me.
I haven’t tasted Bonita and Envy yet, I cannot comment on those.
The best winter club apple for me is Natyra, I love that one.
One that I don’t like too much is Crimson Snow, that was a disappointment. Also Pink Lady has a great taste but absolutely not worth growing for me due to it’s sensitivity to every disease out there. I cut my down this year after growing it for 6 years.

3 Likes

Have you tried Pacific Queen? It’s from New Zealand, I found it once in Walmart some fifteen years ago and it was really great, never found it again though! It’s flavor is somewhat similar to Pacific Rose, but I think is more pronounced and I liked its texture more.

Hopefully, Evercrisp reaches E Europe and you get to try it.

You must not be old enough to remember that candy taste ( lucky you). I know what that candy tastes like, unfortunately. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Evercrisp tastes great, to me. I know the trees are supposed to be only available in the state of Washington. However, if I could find a one to grow here it would be one apple tree I would plant.

1 Like

Mike,
Is that your clever way of asking how old I am :smile:

I know those candies. I have eaten a few but I do not like cabdies, any candies for that matter. I just never heard of them being called “old lady purse candies”.

I think a word I would use for unpleasantly excessive sweetness is cloy.

2 Likes

I believe I bought an Evercrisp at Walmart a year ago that had a New York origin, but I could be mistaken.

I would probably plant or graft it if available. (Or even settle for a few grams of it’s pollen for my own breeding efforts.)

I think you are mixing it up with Cosmic Crisp. Evercrisp is indeed grown in states other than Washington, but it is sort of a club apple. I get it from a Pennsylvania orchard.

3 Likes

I will check at the grocery this week. They had a small bin full of these apples next to the normal varieties of apples, but they had no little sticker on them. I’ll double check this and correct my comments here if that is the case.
You are probably right if you said you can buy them locally. This was a club apple when I looked online to see if I could order a tree. It was only available in Washington state.

Kanzi is good I will buy it again. Jazz and Pink Lady I think are great. BTW Pink Lady is a trade marked name. Your only allowed to use it if you are part of a growing group and have certain growing conditions.

Envy is disappointing every time.