Do people say you are "obsessed?"

Interesting question, Jimmy.

• My friends at work make the cut-across-throat shhhh gesture if anyone asks me about what I grow, or about how my trees are doing.

• If I text any friends during the summer, a simple Hi! How are you! I quickly get back: We don’t need any tomatoes.

• Hubby covertly throws away nursery catalogs. He says for my own good.

So, mebbe. But in a good way. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

This is an old thread I loved reading “go big or go home” is the motto I live by! Seriously when I finally got my 1/2 acre garden space fenced I planted 360 tomato plants among everything else )and ran a little ACA among friends) Now I am in the process of turning that most of that space into an orchard with a multitude of different fruiting shrubs, vines and trees. When I figure out what is best to grow here I will clear another acre and plant those things that will thrive the most. Then I may have a pick your own or wholesale the fruit. Meanwhile I did get a license to sell plants so I can fund some of my insanity.

4 Likes

not just obsessed, but possessed.
started when was 5 or 6 when my sister brought home mung beans which sprouted overnight planted on a moist paper towel. Further heightened when i managed to root cuttings(sweet potatoes/roses, etc) as a 10 yr old or so, and when performed my first successful graft on citrus as a teenager.

had other fascinations as a typical boy/kid: bikes, techno, fast cars, guns, building stuff, etc but apart from building stuff, growing fruits/greens/flowers are the only “afflictions” that seem to have intensified as a young adult and now as an old goat. All others have waned/outgrown, my folks ask why i don’t even talk about those anymore. Yeah, from being obsessed with fast bikes/guns, to now designing landscapes/growing flowers—have come a long way— i guess my testosterone levels are declining, lol!

5 Likes

I have no more wild trees to remove :joy:. I just removed last two on my two neighbor’s lands - they covered my sun to the orchard and garden. I am lucky the neighbor didn’t care as soon as they do not have to pay for it. :grinning:

4 Likes

I am not obsessed, definitely not possessed, but when I talk about planting 4000 pecan seedlings, people’s eyes glaze over.

4 Likes

That glazed over look! Yes, they are trying to check if they’re frightened, if you;'re insane, or if they are just dreaming or watching a movie. What kinds of fruit are you growing? How many hours do you have for this conversation?
John S
PDX OR

5 Likes

My coworkers know I’m obsessed and are always asking what I’m doing now…I actually think they are a bit impressed when they come to visit. I heard one say that my place looked “real” (whatever that means). None of them turn down the fruit and veggies I bring to work…

Katy

4 Likes

Damn… I already know I’m insane. No news there. At least I can admit it. I’m planting 200 more jujube trees next april and I really don’t care what anyone thinks.

7 Likes

Nothing wrong with growing a bunch of low maintenance trees and the fruits you get are so healthy.

3 Likes

That’s a true statement! Now I’m questioning my sanity.

2 Likes

am sure several, if not all of them visitors, are re-thinking their priorities and endeavors after seeing your garden.

it “changed” my life when first witnessed the magical phenomenon of germinating seeds as a 5 yr old, and you know what? Few scenarios are happier than changing other people’s lives when they, too, realize that growing trees, greens and flowers is a happy, fulfilling and shareable lifetime activity. Some of them wait until they are in their 70’s, but hey, it is never too late :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

insanity loves company, and i guess you’re in good company with @k8tpayaso, @tonyOmahaz5(plus many more) who share the same lunacy, myself included :smile:

3 Likes

That’s also a true statement… I do love company! Let us all plant more jujubes in the US!

2 Likes

and we’re a network in-the-making :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Jujubes are on my list this spring planting. I have never tasted one but if I can grow it here and it produces fruit, I will plant it!

3 Likes

Count me in the crazy club!
I bought 150 jujube seeds and I’m gonna find out what will germinate.

Planting about 45 persimmon trees this year, and if I get my trellis in I’ll plant a few hundred apple trees, even if as @blueberrythrill has found they are not the best moneymaker.

I didn’t grow up gardening and canning, but I love it now. As someone else observed, too much fruit is not really a problem.
Hope all the other crazies here enjoy the fast coming dormancy period and are ready to “grow crazy” next year!!

3 Likes

I’m one of those folks too! Most of my adult life I have grown and direct marketed several acres of blackberries and blueberries as a sideline to my regular job.

I love to walk through the rows early in the morning and see nature at work.

5 Likes

I live in city. Many of my neighbors never - I mean NEVER saw edible things growing. They are coming to my place just to see how things are growing. If they at least theoretically know where tomatoes come from( aside the store shelf ), things like garlic, potatoes, cantaloupes cause genuine surprise for them. Most people place cantaloupes on the trees, and nobody so far can guess the garlic. It is sad actually, how far people are from the roots…

9 Likes

I knew someone who was quite surprised that scallions can become onions, and that young onions can be eaten as scallions.

2 Likes

If that means you’re crazy I don’t want to be normal! Growing things and thinking about growing things makes me happy.

5 Likes