Experience with Red Fleshed Apples

One has 8 fruits, another 5…guess I better get some courage and remove some of them………Odysso seems very promising…looking forward to both eating it, and using the pollen in crosses!

My redloves have at least five apples each. Hoping they won’t abort.

2 Likes

I grafted Pink Pearl and Hidden Rose on April 24th. You are all terrible enablers…

Though I must admit that my win percentage with grafting apples isn’t great… I’m 0 of 4.

Permissions, Plums I can graft, apples for some reason I’ve just not had the luck Maybe this year as I did the required bleeding for successful grafting…

Scott

3 Likes

MyPink Pearl is blooming now for the first time. Grafted in 2017.

I don’t want to make you feel bad but apple grafting is supposed to be easier than plum’s. What type of grafting do you use?

2 Likes

I know apples are supposed to be easy. I just always have had poor luck with after-care with regard to apple grafts. I’ve had my kids pull them off, squirrels chew on them and even a bird who seemed absolutely determined to destroy one graft I had done last year.

i’m generally doing cleft grafts, but this year I did a couple whip and tongue just to mix things up.

Of the grafts I did on April 24th the only one which is showing any change is the one plum I did.

Scott

2 Likes

I am very much looking forward to the Era Red Love Apple as every red fleshed apple i have planted has been hit by FB Hard (Pink Pearl, Airlies Red flesh and Wealthy).

1 Like

I can so relate to this comment.
I have a Granny Smith that we top worked to Hidden Rose in 2014. Also have other red fleshed grafted on dwarf rootstocks including Red Devil, Nursha, pink princess, pink parfait, and Rubaiyat.

2 Likes

Alas! The birds must have thought my little Odysso apples were ripe cherries! All disappeared in 2 days. :frowning:

My Scarlet Surprise had no blooms this year. Mamuang. . . Did I give you all of my blossoming wood? Xxoo🥰

Yikes!!! Sorry to hear that, I looked forward to hear your report on Odysso,

1 Like

MyScarlet Surprise is very late to leaf out and not very vigorous, unfortunately.

I’m disappointed too. :frowning:

But I have one apple of Bakran……so that will have to do for another year. That and Niedzwetzkyana.

We agreed Scarlet Surprise and Bill’s Red Flesh are same, right. My B.R.F. all look vigorous.

Not to be totally disappointed, I have Odysso added to my Frankentree.

1 Like

I am sure I’ll get Odysso sooner or later. I have 5 trees now plus the ‘frankentree’.

I bought BayaMarisa off Cliff England.,twice. Both died. Those (Odysso and BayaMarisa) seem to be two that would work in the marketplace.

Ate my Bakran…don’t know if it was ripe. About golf ball size…and redder than Niedzwetzkyana inside. Sour, but edible. Would make good jelly without pectin I am sure.

My 2019 graft of Otterson seems to be very vigorous. It’s a cider apple with deep red coloring inside apparently…from U of Michigan. But, I put it on Antonovka root, so may be awhile before I get any results. May try and graft it to a tree that is bearing already next spring.

Anybody have a good crop of red fleshed apples this year?

2 Likes

I may get to taste Winekist this year. Most of my younger trees (which all the red fleshed one are) were hit by this last winter. But surprisingly the two Winekist made it thru without any die back, and one even flowered and is forming apples. So if the birds, bugs and wind will leave me a couple I should get to try it.

2 Likes

Looks like an excellent crop of Pink Parfait coming up very late in the season. Pink Pearl is bearing heavily this year, too, as is Mott’s Pink. Both of those will ripen soon. I’ll get my first big crop of Thornberry in October. The others all appear to have decent crops as well.

3 Likes

Sounds great, Jerry!

So, you have several others, as well?
I got started with Niedzwetzkyana 5 or 6 years ago, been adding ever since.

Can’t wait to hear your review on Odysso. I hope it is as good as advertised.

1 Like

Yes, a good few. I have a graft of Airlie Red Flesh, and young trees of Red Devil, Pink Pearmain, Blush Rosette, Christmas Pink, Rubaiyat, Grenadine, and Strawberry Parfait. All are bearing now save for the most recent additions, Red Devil and Grenadine.

1 Like

Airlies RF has set a nice crop and a faint pink cross of King of Pippens x700 has a few on it. Last year it produced late apples with a faint pink color strongly flavored of grapefruit. It is very slow growing so there is no wood available yet.

1 Like

Well, the “Redlove” advertising and YouTube videos sure do “advertise” well. :slight_smile:

The Odysso is really lovely in bloom. And the young fruit looked like cherry bombs (until birds evidently thought they were ripe cherries).

I am keeping an eye out for other red fleshed apples I would want to add, but with around 30, I’ve got plenty to evaluate as it is. And perhaps come up with a few seedlings over time from intentional crosses I plan to make.

The red fleshed varieties make up about 40% of my apple collection. Be a couple more years before I get to sample most of them, probably.

4 Likes