Figs 2018

Mine is planted next to my house to shield it from winter winds. I also cover mine with a tarp, again to protect against wind. It experienced some tip burn, but still ripened fruit this year. Do you need cuttings to restart your plant? I could send you some.

Strawberry Verte is a very good fig!

9 Likes

Thanks for cutting offer but I plan to buy a plant next spring from Threefold Farm in PA- he raises really healthy stuff there. I want my next Adriatic JH to have a running start in-ground so that by next fall it might withstand the winter better. If you prune before covering with tarp how high do you prune? Do you also bury in mulch?

Mine are pruned back to 4-5 feet for easier protection, because Iā€™m not very tall. They are wrapped with a couple layers of tarp, with some leaves around the base, no mulch. I grow mine potted for a year or 2 before planting, and tend to plant them deep so the low branches are partially buried in dirt. I figure more of the bush will survive underground, if there is total topkill, giving it a better chance of rebounding.

1 Like

my frostline is 12;; so i dig 2; holes to plant figs. i believe it is impossible to lose a tree to winter kill if you do that.
might not work in heavy clay, tho.
i wrap in pink fiberglass insulation.
the hard part is forcing the tree into a column.

Harvested what will probably be my last fig of the season, Hative de Argentuil, small but very good, probably the most fragrant fig Iā€™ve tried, delicious!

5 Likes

Last fig in Decemberā€¦nice!

2 Likes

I am so jealous :blush:ā€¦ Iā€™ve got to move to California one dayā€¦

3 Likes

Yes, pretty nice, folks down in so cal get figs even later, and so does @fruitnut, so we are not the latest figs here.

I put my figs down for an early winter this yr. The chilling cycle kicked in mid October. Iā€™m favoring the stone fruits this time around. Should be at 800 chill hrs already. Will start warmup soon but itā€™s going to be a slow warmup this yr. Need some cherriesā€¦!!

Besides I have a freezer full of dried figs. No way Iā€™ll eat them all. And they are as good as the fresh figs.

3 Likes

Nice, wish I had some dried figs, at least I have my fruit leather. I will have to try drying a few next season for winter time. Cant wait to see your cherries next year!

how dry must figs be before freezing?
ā€˜ā€˜as good as freshā€™ā€™ is very interesting.

1 Like

I like my figs dried but still chewy. If they get tough to chew thatā€™s too dry for me. Mine are dry enough that they probably donā€™t need freezing for long term storage. But thatā€™s where I have room and it doesnā€™t hurt. I have frozen some that were too moist, ie not dry enough. Those didnā€™t turn out so good, at least not for eating out of hand. They could have been used for other purposes.

I ate some dried figs for supper that for me were as good as fresh if not better. They still werenā€™t as good as the dried nectarines in the same bag. But hey nectarines, my best ones anyway, are simply the best fruit Iā€™ve eaten. Just as sweet as dried figs but with better flavor.

3 Likes

I noticied my dry figs when frozen seemed like they were not even frozen. So little water in them, but still pliable. I cleaned my freezer this winter and discovered a jar of dried figs from 2017. They were really good! A nice surprise. This year my trees were damaged in the fall of 2017 from an early hard freeze at 21F. My fig trees were all damaged except two of them. So fig production was late, and small in size and quantity. This fall was much better and all look great! Looking forward to a better harvest next year.
@fruitnut, how dry do you make your nectarines? I had a lot of extra this year, I think I will dry some next year. Although Iā€™m renewing my scaffolds this year so production should be low. Iā€™m trying to keep the trees small, plus I want to cut them down to new grafts on some scaffolds.

1 Like

thank you, fruit.

thanks , drew.
iā€™lltry drying.

Same as the figs. Still nice and pliable/chewy. Not hard as leather.

1 Like

Thanks I have a new dehydrator, actually two of them. My wife wanted a convection oven and it dehydrates too. Yeah I dropped a 6 foot 2x8 on my old dehydrator, the board won!

Drew51,

If you are going to get rid of some of your figs, if they arenā€™t too big you might consider offering them to other people here on Growing Fruit.

You could also offer cuttings from the figs to others on here so they could start their own plants.

Just something to think aboutā€¦

If anyone here would be interested in sending me some fig cuttings so I can root them and get my own plants going, please let me know. I would certainly appreciate it.

Thanks.