Figs, figs, everywhere!

Well that’s wrong, flat out wrong, it is an Adriatic, very good too! Strawberry Verte is a very popular fig, it is not cheap! Some say Green Ischia is SV, but I myself doubt it. The adriatics look almost identical in leaf and fig but taste varies from my experience. B Green and SV look exactly alike to me, the figs. I can’t tell them by appearance. But B Green is consistently sweeter, and Strawberry Verte has a darker red pulp.

I can Google images of Strawberry Verte and Battalia Green and see varying shades of red on each, I’ve seen the same on all of my various Verte types as well.

Strawberry Verte is my favorite green fig. It is far superior to varieties such as White Madeira #1. I’ve tasted them side-side atleast half a dozen times.

3 Likes

Strawberry Verte, Paradiso, Battaglia Green, and Adriatic JH taste similar to me. Batt Green probably has the largest fruit with Paradiso second largest. SV is very productive. But the trees and growing conditions vary so it’s hard to pick the “best”. They are all very good figs and a nice contrast in taste to many dark figs.

3 Likes

Do you have any favorites?

I have one fig called Jurupa and I swear it was a green fig, but in the fall the figs were purple. I have to watch it closely this year. The first figs of the year were green! It’s not an Adriatic by taste for sure, plus it might turn purple with colder temps! A strange one! It was very good, simple flavor, but I wanted more than one. I like them.
I’m looking for a good yellow fig. So far I have not liked any I have tried. Hoping Golden Rainbow (which has won taste tests) fits the bill! I should be getting a plant any second.

I’ve had a few Verte types and there was just about as much difference between different trees of the same variety as others.

That GR looks just like Yellow Long Neck, which was around a long time and never got much attention before…

Yes, well after seeing video of fig people choosing it over some premium figs certainly peaked my interest. And unlike others I have enough rare figs not to have to ever buy more, strictly a trade, and as with Craven’s Craving I have traded for much lesser figs to help spread it around, Tony, Eric and Richard all have CC from me. I have one for Ray too.

My experience like 4 years my verte types have consistently been the same every year. I can tell Battaglia Green from Strawberry Verte and I have more than one tree of both. I myself think they are not the same figs. I don’t think one needs every variation, but I bet some are more desirable than others. Plus I bet many are mixed up all the time, so one must go by the tree itself. I have about 6 of these types, and will keep 2-3 after testing them a bit.

My wife bought me some sun dried Greek figs yesterday and like my corn patch fig I plan on planting some of the seeds for fun.

1 Like

My potted figs are all budding out and I found about a dozen brebas in my I-258. Hope they don’t all drop so I can get a taste at the beginning of July.

5 Likes

I just pulled my two figs out of my garage today. I have about a dozen or more on each one with green tips no leaves yet. My figs are tiny but two or three to a branch.

2 Likes

Here are the same 2 breba from I-258 today. They sure grow up fast! Can’t wait to taste them in July.

16 Likes

You had rave reviews of Grosse Monstreusse. Is that an adriatic? How does it differ from SV?

Hi Eric,
Monstreuse is certainly an Adriatic type fig. It differs from other varieties in that it has syrup in the syconium that flows to seal the eye.

It is like a Black Madeira except it is white. Exceptional fruit.

I took my strawberry Verte into the grow room for winter and got a lot of fruit all winter long. I left the Monstreuse out.
As far as comparison between the two goes - Strawberry Verte is the most consistently excellent variety I have growing among all figs.(other than Black Madeira) The best Monstreuse can be truly outstanding but it doesn’t like ripening in cold weather. Strawberry Verte can ripen fruit after dropping all leaves and still taste sweet.

Both these are head and shoulders above a couple of other green figs I’ve grown here.

7 Likes

Wonderful information! Thank you. That gives me even more hope for Monstreuse!! I lost a LOT of cuttings of that for some reason but finally got a graft to take and one cutting.
After seeing your review, I just HAD to have this one. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks for the review. I have Strawberry Verte and Battaglia Green. Others too yet to show fruit. Anyway I found Battaglia Green consistently sweeter than Strawberry Verte. I like both. Hard to tell apart except that Battaglia Green is sweeter and the pulp of Strawberry Verte is darker. Battaglia Green produces like Vertee too, lot’s of fruit! Both also have resisted freeze damage better than all my other figs.

1 Like

Adriatic JH had syrup for a while last year and I posted pictures here. syrup content is not a steady and reliable characteristic as far as I can tell.

I don’t have Battaglia Green. Is it earlier than SV? Adriatic figs have become one of my favorite classes. I need one that ripens early or has a substantial breba crop.

1 Like

No but close, about a week or two later. SV is fairly early for a Adriatic, it is a great choice for colder areas. Still you will get a lot of fruit from B. Green too. it is as prolific as Strawberry Verte. I’m not sure everybody needs both? But if a favorite type, you may want to try it. It was easy to compare as I had both ripe at the same time As stated I had to wait a bit for B Green to be ripe, yet close enough harvests overlapped.

I will be getting a green Michurinska in summer. I hope that one is early!
Smith is another interesting green fig.
It is sweeter than SV but SV has the berry bite that Smith lacks – Smith is almost a honey fig by comparison! I really like both.

1 Like

I should get a few Smiths for the first time this season.
I’m trying to root a peloponnisiaka aspra sika to compare. Bummed as one rooted than it died after up potting. Usually this does not happen to me. First time!
I have one more cutting I’m trying to root now.
I also picked up Ponte Tresa and some cuttings for another Swiss fig.

I have good growth on my Peloponissiaka. I can set you an air layer if yours does not make it. Just let me know.

1 Like