First 2021 Catalog Arrived

In fact, I liked the old days when writing a letter was the best way to say hello to someone
who didn’t live close enough to walk. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Living a short distance away, my first experience with Cummins (about 20 years ago) was stopping by, chatting with Steve leisurely about apples and all manner of other things for close to an hour. We had a list of varieties we wanted and asked him for recommendations for others. We then drove home with 11 bareroot trees (enough to hit the minimum for a discount).

3 Likes

Do they have a store front? I am scheduled to drive past their place in the spring on my way to Kansas. I’d like to stop by on my way back and buy some things and save on shipping.

Cummins Nursery is one component of the business. Indian Creek Farm is the retail branch with store. Closed for the winter, it should be opening again in June.

1 Like

Editing because I just visited Cummins’ website and I was mistaken about their location. My original post is no longer relevant.

Got my first catalog for the year, from ACN recently. Odd, considering I only had one order from them, two trees, almost 4 years ago.

1 Like

Catalogs are good, I went to ACN website yesterday and it was a pain and I didn’t seriously consider ordering once I saw they didn’t sell rootstocks too. So, Fedco was the “winner” … they had been my only catalog to date.
Burnt Ridge raised rootstock prices 25 cents each this past week from the week before.
And I wanted a couple other things also. And Cummins still doesn’t have the website working.
So, Fedco got my little order (over $100 but still little).

5 Likes

I’m done ordering any more trees, might consider a few new blackberry plants, tho. Still got to find a spot for 10 potted apple trees, guess they’ll get planted next spring.

BTW, on the way to Winchester today, going to check out an old wood stove that we might put in our old house.

3 Likes

Well, I just ordered 100 roots…guess I’ll be grafting or budding quite a bit in 2021 afterall.

By the way, keep meaning to visit Rural King in Winchester, subdood.

1 Like

Just got home. The stove was too small and too rusted to bite on for the price. But, we did get a lead on another one closer to home. Going to check It out later today.

We stopped at a big flea market there in town, and then headed home. If you remember, Winchester is where they make Ale-8 soda.

3 Likes

I have liked Ale-8 soda since I was a kid. It is available locally now, thank goodness. Before then I would always stop in KY on my road trips to buy some.

1 Like

I was curious for people who have ordered trees from Schlabach’s Nursery. Do they tag the trees with the actual rootstock (example M7) or do the tags just say dwarf or semi-dwarf? I have ordered fungicides and supplies from them but never actual trees.

Schlabach’s indicates rootstock on tag, such as:
Golden Russet/B9
Kristin/Krymsk5

4 Likes

Thanks

Got my 2021 Indiana Berry catalog today, along with my seeds from Ohio Heirloom.

IB has a new strawberry variety for this year, called Keepsake. From their website-

A new release from USDA Beltsville, is a midseason June Bearing strawberry. Berries have outstanding flavor with high soluble solids (sweetness) and moderate acidity (tartness). They also have a pleasing texture and are juicy when eaten. Keepsake is very closely related to Flavorfest and has a superior shelf life, the berries are firm and hold up well during harvest and packaging. Keepsake is resistant to anthracnose fruit rot, one of the most serious fruit rots world-wide.

They are going for $20.75/25 or $28/50.

They are also selling the new Ponca and Caddo blackberries, on a limited basis, both for $4.75 apiece. I’m debating on whether to pull the trigger on these 2 varieties. Got plenty of blackberry plants as is.

I ORDERED about $200 of stuff from Indiana Berry yesterday…shipping was only $34.
I was OK with that!

PS: If they are out of something you wanted…I might have bought it. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

What did you get, a bunch of blueberries? I was going to get some currants, but they seem to be running out of them.

25 currants and a few other things…

1 Like

I called about 2 weeks ago, and they sent me a 2021 catalog. (585-798-6198)

8 Likes

Thanks for posting the list. It looks like they sent you their current inventory list. It’s a bit different from the catalog they sent me back in December. I like it lists the rootstocks of each tree.

1 Like