First 2021 Catalog Arrived

First of many to come was from Tomato Supply Company yesterday. Except for a couple of squash varieties, I ordered all my seed for next year last month and have them on hand. Didn’t want to see N/A for 2021 on potentially short supply of some seeds.

That being said something will catch my attention and be added to my garden. Space is not a concern. Weeding and watering it all is the concern.

10 Likes

I got Pinetree Garden Seeds catalog yesterday…

I spent much of my lunch today looking through it.

Scott

4 Likes

Ah yes the joy of catalogs in winter :grin:

I got into orcharding via a Millers catalog that showed up on my doorstep one dreary March day.

10 Likes

Park Seed for flowers and Twilley Seeds for vegetables way back in my high school years were always the top catalogs I looked out for. Stark and Millers for trees as well.

My Dad would get all the garden seed from the town’s hardware store where they sold them in big bulk seed bins with glass sides. The store keeper would put a few ounces in a tiny paper bag folded up and tied with a string. Then we would get a 6 ounce coke bottle out of the giant ice cooler and sit a spell before heading back home.

Sometimes we would all go see my Aunt in Norfolk, Virginia and stop by George Tait & Sons Seeds. Started in 1869 and finally sold in 1985, it was the main seed supplier maybe in all of Virginia back in the day. Virginia Tech had its Ag Experiment Station for Truck Farming near there. Queen Ann Cowpea was developed there and still does well in the Southeast. We also went somewhere to get sweet potato slips when I was real little. The whole family helped planting them as Dad worked the hiller making the rows. The good old days…

7 Likes

Even though I usually order on line, I like to have the catalogs to look through. Any duplicates are passed on to family and friends. Some of the outlandish descriptions are too much fun.

2 Likes

I enjoy catalogs and really sort of despise a " just online" catalog. I can take a paper catalog with me when I take my car in for service, waiting on someone to get out of work, sitting outdoors when the weather is nice. I can mark up a catalog and look back at the things I was interested in.
Plus, as Anne stated, I can pass a printed catalog to some family and friends.

4 Likes

I’ve been checking the Cummins website… still no inventory posted for 2021. Anyone know if they are having issues or are they much being cautious about ensuring that folks get the trees ordered at the calipers ordered?

1 Like

It looks like Cummins is be redoing the website/online ordering. There is a note on the 2020 website to email them your order.

In the past there was some link between Cummins and OrangePippinTrees.com. In 2014 and 2015 I ordered from Orange Pippin and Cummins, respectively, and the shipping location, packaging, and tree labeling all spoke “Cummins” to me.

Orange Pippin has an inventory posted.

2 Likes

I just received the Fedco and St. Lawrence Nursery catalog today.
I like the little cartoons Fedco puts into their catalogs.
St.Lawrence Nursery has some nice cold tolerate varieties. I am glad the nursery was sold to one of the employees. It would have been a shame to see it close for good. Good luck to him and I hope he does well.

3 Likes

Passing on catalogs is part of my plan to entice everyone to plant something.

2 Likes

I got Johnny’s Selected Seeds yesterday

1 Like

I got the One Green World catalog. I haven’t finished looking through it yet, but they certainly have a lot of citrus varieties.

1 Like

I miss Miller’s nursery. I always thought they had a lot of interesting trees and items. My neighbor still had a Miller’s fruit tree he bought many years ago.

2 Likes

LTCider … Regarding Cummins, I was doing the same thiing. Finally, I emailed them. They sent me 3 PDFs with trees, rootstock and pricing. They said they are accepting orders but just a little late getting their new website launched.

5 Likes

My Gala apple came from Millers

1 Like

I spoke with Tino at cummins this week when i ordered rootstocks. He said that they are finishing up the site development and it should be up and running soon. You can email them and they will send out product lists and inventory on hand.

1 Like

They had so many neat tree combinations and nice nursery stock. I had a few trees from Miller’s at my old house. As soon as I moved away the new owner tore out all the fruit trees I had planted. Bummer, they were nice trees.

1 Like

Mike… that is heartbreaking!

Sometimes it is better to not go back and look at a property you have left. Years ago, I went back and looked at the house I grew up in. It was heartbreaking… all the fruit trees and flowers my mother had planted were ALL gone. Even a marvelous huge tree that I had my tree fort in. Replaced by a lot of rock and patio. One a single tree was left… not a single rose bush. I wish I had never gone back to see it.

4 Likes

You are exactly right. It would have been better not to go back and" take a look at the old place" road trip. Great memories should have stayed that, great memories.
The previous owners had 4 huge flower beds full of perennials and rose bushes in the back yard. They had flowers that bloomed from the first part of the year until the end of fall. I added a few newer perennials and when I had some of the flowers die that they had planted I put new ones in. The new owners took out ALL the flower beds as well. Zero flowers in the back yard. I was shocked at what they did.

That is so sad that your homestead was ruined like that. It does feel like a kick in the stomach at what they took out. Plus they got rid of your tree house!
All those great memories simply wiped away like that.

3 Likes

:cry:

1 Like