First ripe Shenandoah pawpaw of the season

Tony, what are you doing with all those good looking , bucket full of fruits? My trees are loaded too, around here nobody wants them. I just have way tooooooooo manyyyyyyy.

6 Likes

I freeze them for later use. I peeled the skin and wrapped each one with food wrap to prevent freezer burn. I have been eating pawpaw popsicles all year around.

Tony

5 Likes

Just pulp without seeds right?

I freezed the whole peeled fruit so it was not messy from the seeds removal. I just spit out the seeds when eating the somewhat thaw fruit.

Tony

5 Likes

Thank you Tony.
I will in ground the Shenandoah in November to replace one NC1 not very good shape. ( I have 3 NC1 total ) and next year will plant one Pennsylvania Golden. Do you have Allegheny?

This is wonderful news! Shenandoah Iā€™ve heard is very flavorful.

Many people describe Shenandoahā€™s taste as pleasant and mild. Thatā€™d be why general population who are not familiar with pawpaw would find it pleasant and even like it.

For the real pawpaw fans, Shenandoahā€™s taste may not be as ā€œflavorfulā€ as they prefer.

4 Likes

Tony, you have some great looking pawpaws. Your trees must be amazing. Any idea when Potomac ripens? I felt mine and they are all rock hard.

Iā€™ve had somebody ask me where they could buy some. But, I realize they donā€™t fare well in shipping.

Iā€™ve never tasted pawpaws but I am quite familiar with their tropical cousins - the custard apple, sugar apples and Cherimoyas.

I am really interested in something that tastes like a custard apple or cherimoya. I dont care if it is seedy or small in size. Any varieties to recommend?

Early ripening, big size fruits, production, less seeds, flavorful, offspring of Overleeseā€¦ sounds very interesting to me.

1 Like

Recommendations need to come from people who grow and eat a lot of pawpaws like @tonyOmahaz5 and several other pawpaw enthusiasts on this forum. Not me. I am not remotely qualified :smile:

mamuang is right about Shenandoah. The typical flavors that I taste when eating a pawpaw are really subtle in Shenandoah. To me, they actually tasted more like vanilla pudding than pawpaw. It could be that you confused Shenandoah with Susquehanna, which is a much more strongly flavored variety.

Iā€™ve eaten cherimoyas several times and donā€™t remember tasting many similarities to pawpaws other than both have complex flavor profiles that are fairly tropical tasting. The best cherimoyas Iā€™ve eaten were the more rich and complexly flavored ones where I could taste things like pineapple and strawberry. The worst cherimoyas were pear-like with little tropical flavor. Susquehanna is more rich and tropical-tasting than the other pawpaws Iā€™ve tried, but I wouldnā€™t say it tastes much at all like cherimoyas. Allegheny had a very well-mixed blend of different flavors, so in that way they were more complex like a good cherimoya.

6 Likes

Allegheny sound really good, specially itā€™s early ripening peterson variety. But some time itā€™s not available at local nurseries. One Green World have some 5 gallons for pick up only. Hopefully Shenandoah performs well here I would remove some Plum trees for Allegheny pawpaw addition.

1 Like

You could always try grafting. Iā€™ll have some scionwood next spring and will be looking to swap for good varieties that I donā€™t have.

1 Like

Andrew,

I am not sure because I donā€™t have Potomac pawpaw. It probably will ripen before Susquehanna at the end of September.

1 Like

My neighbor just next to us had some ripe pawpaws last year. He said theyā€™re a wild variety. He gave us a few to sample, they were alright, just tasted like an overripe banana to me, with huge seeds. That was the first time Iā€™ve had a pawpaw.

Guess he didnā€™t get any this year.

2 Likes

A lot wild pawpaws Iā€™ve tasted are like that. Overripe banana flavor with a little bitterness. Thatā€™s the worst type imo. They can be so much better than that, if you find the right tree or are able to try some good named varieties.

3 Likes

This Potomac pawpaw felt soft so I picked it to try. The texture was of an avocado, very buttery, and it had a light sweetness and fragrance. There are still 4 more on the tree so Iā€™ll let the next ones ripen more to see if I like the flavor better that way.

12 Likes

I am enjoying my Shenandoah a lot. Let ne know what you think about a perfect ripened Potomac pawpaw.

3 Likes