First ripe Shenandoah pawpaw of the season

I let my pawpaws over-ripen til they look ugly. That’s when the caramel flavors develop.

1 Like

Do pawpaws ripen on the counter or are they better left on the tree until completely ripe?

I buy them from a stand and an online store that sells them a little green (Integration Acres) and they do ripen on the counter, despite claims to the contrary.

1 Like

They will ripen on the counter as long as they were able to get to the right stage on the tree where they just start to soften. So, if they are picked off the tree when they have a bit of give to them when squeezed, they are good to go. If still rock hard, they won’t ripen properly off the tree and won’t ever taste good.
Picked at that point when just getting soft, they can last a pretty long time in a fridge. I had some last 5 weeks, though I’d say most are good for 3 when picked this way.

4 Likes

I left this Potomac on the counter for 2 more days after picking and it was nice and soft today. The aroma was intoxicating. The flavor was much sweeter and tasted like banana, mango, and vanilla. There were very few seeds. I think I really like pawpaws now.

10 Likes

They are much bigger and tastier than tge wild ones.
Tony

2 Likes

I tasted wild ones before. I don’t think I liked them too much, because the taste wasn’t memorable but that was several years ago. I can send you scions of this variety in the winter if you want to try it @tonyOmahaz5

5 Likes

I just bought Potomac pawpaw trees for PNW areas. It’s very cool summer here. Your Potomac were ripen in the first week of September? @PharmerDrewee thanks

1 Like

Yes, early to mid-September. Keep in mind my climate is very warm during the summer months. We have many days above 90 degrees in Pennsylvania. That may affect ripening time.

1 Like

Thank you Andrew.
I asked Mr. Peterson and got an answer as well.
Shenandoah is ripen early but long ripen period and Potomac is midseason ripening varieties.
I think all varieties will drop off the trees by the end of October here because too wet and cold weather then let them counter room temperature ripen .
I bought good size Potomac and do the testing. Thank you again for information. Vincent

1 Like

Thanks for testing all these varieties here!

1 Like

Give it ample room. My Potomac is noticeably more vigorous than other varieties.

1 Like

Information said Potomac grows upright habit ? @PharmerDrewee

Tony, when does Halvin ripen for you? Is it earlier than Shenandoah? Or about the same?

It ripened two weeks after Shenandoah.

3 Likes

I plant Shenandoah and Potomac between each other for pollination Tony.

1 Like

Mine is just in general more vigorous, and larger than others planted at the same time. Grafted and planted in 2017 and produced 5 large fruits this year!

2 Likes

Home growing Pawpaw. Seattle Pacific Northwest areas (October 22.19)
5 Taytwo, 1 NC1. (Thank you so much for your advices , now I had some ripened Pawpaw, it’s not easy to have home grown pawpaws in the Western States.@tonyOmahaz5.)

8 Likes