Free-to-Make Aluminum Tree Labels

I realized today that the vinyl plastic labels I’m using for grafts and trees got brittle after one summer. So I started making aluminum ones with a seltzer cam and thought others might like to see the quick and easy method.

Makes 5 labels with one aluminum can in less than 5 min. I used a nail to write on one side (on top of something with a little give) and a UV resistant garden marker on the other (that didn’t fade over the summer).

The key is having the tin snips to get it started at the top and once you turn the corner and get it started, the aluminum rips cleanly and the top comes off. The tin snips do the rest…

10 Likes

You can also buy Aluminum Plant Labels from Amazon, I got a quantity of 100 for $13.

6 Likes

I like this alternative more. You can avoid getting cut by sharp aluminum cans. Also more cost effective as I don’t buy beer or sugared soda.

1 Like

Here’s the link.

3 Likes

I have made these tags before. I typically use a ball point pen to mark, but have been considering a fancier method like this stamping kit.

2 Likes

I pretty much use this method to make labels - recycling at it’s best! Need more labels, drink a beer. Any labels made from hard seltzer cans were consumed by my wife. Honest!

I do sometimes get jagged edges, but I’m careful how I handle the labels.

4 Likes

The stamp kit is ok, but for me it takes to long to label the grafts and I do a lot of grafts. I found that the easiest way to write on it is to use an engraver (amazon has one that works for $25).It is very easy to engrave, almost like using a pen to write on the label once you practice a little. For the aluminum tag I mentioned, the pen or sharp tip punch doesn’t write deep enough but this engraver works well. You can read it nice.

Amazon.com: UTOOL Engraver Pen with Letter/Number Stencil, 24W Handheld Etching Tool for Wood Metal Glass Engraving with 4 Replaceable Tungsten Carbide Steel Bits

2 Likes

And because I’m a cheap bastard I cut them in half lengthwise.

4 Likes

The Dymo metal Embossing Label Maker is another quick option to make them.

1 Like

I think the harbor freight engraver was $13 when I bought it last year.

Also we’ve been through this topic before :wink:

2 Likes

I buy mine from this guy…

1 Like

I like using aluminum for tags. My choice for several years has been aluminum window blinds. They are a little thicker and I use a battery powered etcher to put the name on it.

3 Likes

I still have some of this left over 10in X 10ft roll of aluminum flashing is about $14 now… at Home Depot etc. not sure how it etches havent tried it yet. Good idea on the blinds. I use the plastic blinds for my potted stuff and seeds i start.

2 Likes

Krismoriah, I will try the tags you mentioned, it does seem to be similar to the ones I use now with the fiber board inside (pacific forest supply). Maybe the one you use has a little more resistance to birds/rats/squirrels that seem to like to eat up my tags after a few years. I switched to the solid aluminum tags since I know they can’t chew these up.

You can make tags from the aluminum rolls, but when you calculate the time to cut, punch wire hole, buy and cut aluminum wire, it might not be worth your time. To me it’s much cheaper to buy 100 already made tags with wire for $13. I’m a retired mechnical/electrical engineer(manger) and can tell you from experience sometimes its not as economical. In engineering we say, “Not invented here (NIH)”, and my engineers would try to design their own mouse trap and I would say just go buy it, stop wasting money!

1 Like

The brand is Amerkron Impress O-tags… they were cheapest on Ebay last time i bought them but looks like they are cheaper now on Amazon.

I was told that these were the best brand for long term…

I love free. Only problem here is the pop cans are worth 10 cents each.

1 Like

I have been using those tags for about 10 years and they tend to wear out. I’m planning to do something different.

1 Like

Yes, I have been using the ones from Pacific Forest Supply which has the aluminum wrapped cardboard, not that strong and doesn’t last more than 5-6 yrs. This one which is solid aluminum should last much longer, but as I mentioned you need to use an engraver tool or it is difficult to mark it with a pen or sharp tool.

Amazon.com: PinCute Aluminum Plant Labels, Metal Plant Tags, Tree ID Tags Durable & Waterproof Pot Label Tag Marker for Indoor Outdoor Gardening Nursery(100 Pack) : Patio, Lawn & Garden

1 Like