Fruitwood Nursery

While looking around for mulberry tree recommendations and sources I found my way on to the website of Fruitwood Nursery. According to their website they are a permaculture farm/nursery in California.

Anyone have any experience with them or heard of them before? They seem to have a ton of different scion wood/cuttings for a wide range of things.

1 Like

Is there a specific reason why they would need to “make a new go of it?”
I have ordered from Rolling River years ago and was happy with what I got, but lately they seem to be sold out of everything. I understand that they are under new ownership and that this new site is the old owners, i’m just wondering about the wording.

1 Like

I was just curious, thank you for the reply. Given my previous experience with them, I would assume that they are safe to order from and I likely will.

Check out their offering of persimmon wood, its very nice:

https://fruitwoodnursery.com/index.php/fruit-tree-scion-and-cuttings-wood/persimmon-scionwood-diospyros-kaki

I think only Cliff England has more offerings.

PS I added them to scionwood list. In looking through their offerings, they have some stuff that few people offer including peaches and pomegranates.

8 Likes

Thanks for this resource, I’m having fun looking through their site. They do have a lot of variety.

Yeah I was surprised really. I will probably order a few things myself though the bulk of my scion purchases for '19 have already been made.

I’m in the process of figuring out what I want to order (asian and euro pears, apples, cherry, plum, pawpaw and persimmon) and who to order from. You wouldnt mind sharing what you ordered and who you ordered from would you?

1 Like

Me? I have ordered several different Jujube scions from England’s Orchard and Nursery as well as a few different kinds of apples and pears from Masonville Orchards. I have dealt with both in the past and am pleased with everything so far (with the possible exception of some seeds but I’m still waiting to see how everything turns out).

I am probably going to order several mulberry and medlar trees from Rolling River Nursery in the coming days as well.

1 Like

I’m so glad to hear they are still in the biz. I just wrote to them inquiring about an apple found on a local island here in western Washington. I’ve never seen it offered anywhere else. They will sell me some scionwood, yea. They seem like very nice people.

1 Like

Good to hear. Once the holidays are over and I make my scion want list I’ll have to take a closer look at their collection

$3 is a pretty good price, especially for Figs. Once I started, it was hard to stop adding things…

Jujube:
Norris #1
Ant Admire
Jin
Kima
Tsao

Figs:
Emalyn’s Purple
Negronne
Ventura Strawberry
Flander’s
Excell
Mary Lane

NC-1 (Pawpaw (to graft on my Sunflower for pollination, in case the Susquehanna doesn’t come back)
President (Euro plum)

1 Like

I cant finish going through the site without getting to this error and then an empty shopping cart:
Fatal error : Allowed memory size of 268435456 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 73404416 bytes) in /home/fruitwood1/public_html/plugins/vmshipment/rules_shipping_advanced/library/rules_shipping_framework.php on line 342

Did you report the error? They might not know about it. I did an order a few weeks ago and it worked fine. Their email is gfp108@gmail.com.

1 Like

I made a fairly large purchase of scionwood as well. Had no difficulty with the checkout. Promptly received a confirmation.
They answer email reasonably promptly. So definitely worth contacting.

2 Likes

Yeah, I had emailed when I posted here. I used a different email address than the one that you have though. The one I used was provided by their “contact us” page which I had open in another tab just in case this happened again. I’ll let them know with the gfp108 email as well, thank you.

Edit: My cart is now a page with this error:
Fatal error : Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 32768 bytes) in /home/fruitwood1/public_html/components/com_onepage/config/onepage.cfg.php on line 1

Fatal error : Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 32768 bytes) in /home/fruitwood1/public_html/components/com_onepage/config/onepage.cfg.php on line 1

Well, while typing a new email to the email address that @scottfsmith provided, they replied to my earlier email. Marc recommended that I try setting up an account first and if that didn’t work, they would be happy to take my order over email.

Edit: looks like ill have to email in my order. I set up an account, filled up my cart, then got this error:
Fatal error : Allowed memory size of 268435456 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 56627200 bytes) in /home/fruitwood1/public_html/plugins/vmshipment/rules_shipping_advanced/library/rules_shipping_framework.php on line 342

Did you try rebooting your system?

From what I understand it is an error within the script written into the website. I don’t have access to the files of their website so I don’t know how I could fix it on my end.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7VrzytusLA

Just wanted to add an update since this thread was started asking if anyone had any experience with them, which I have now had.
They were very prompt with replying to emails every time that I contacted them. I did have some issues with their shopping cart as mentioned in above posts but did get an order through. Their huge selection and price per scion is so nice that I went a little overboard and ordered a lot. They shipped me great quality scions that were labeled with individual plastic nursery tags. I sorted everything out by species, bundled each species up with long twist ties, and rebagged them until grafting time.

I have ordered grafted trees from them previously when they owned Rolling River Nursery. I never had any issues with their old website and was always happy with what I received. This will be my first year grafting so I’m glad that they started Fruitwood Nursery and hope that this business does as well for them as their last one.

15 Likes

I ordered multiple batches of scionwood and rootstock from them. I am very happy with their communication, quality, selection, and price. They will be my go-to place for scionwood and other nursery stock in the future. I hope they are very successful in this endeavor.

4 Likes