Fruitwood Nursery

There’s an autumn olive cultivar called ‘Hidden Springs’? I might have to get that. I was definitely a fan of Rolling River but like someone else said… they seem to have been sold out of everything I was interested in all year.

1 Like

I bundled all of the Elaeagnus together, it is actually a goumi. The founder of hidden springs nursery in Tennessee did some work with Elaeagnus before the state outlawed the growing of autumn olives. He sent his best Elaeagnus selections to the owners of fruitwood nursery to keep his cultivars from going extinct. Hidden springs still sells goumi seedlings but not any of his named selections. There was no description on Fruitwood’s website, so I added it to my cart on a whim.

1 Like

I plan to break in my TurboKlone with their Goumi, Autumn Olive, and Mulberry selections.
I’m really excited to try this since my rooting success has been horrible.
Watching videos of people sticking Mulberry branches in the dirt and having success had me pulling my hair out lol.

3 Likes

I ordered a couple things from them, both were high quality wood. Its great to have them around, there are few places offering such a diversity of species!

5 Likes

So how were the takes with their scion? Also, what diameter is their chestnut wood?

1 Like

Got my order today, they subbed my Gold Rush scion for Pacific Gold without asking. It’s a major bummer, I guess I’ll let the rootstocks I bought grow for a year and I’ll graft next year. On the plus side, the scions look great!
P.S. They do not have seem to have a phone number, I called rolling river and they said they don’t have their number either.

1 Like

I ordered from Fruitwood last year and this year. They seem to have added a lot of items! Some stuff is still a bit disorganized (one of the items I ordered had a title and description that didn’t match) but overall I’m quite pleased.

Last year, most things did quite well. I ordered a few apple scions very late in the season (after everywhere else had sold out) and they were beginning to leaf out when they arrived and failed to take. I should have expected that given the time of year but it was my first year grafting - it would have been nice to be warned. The fig I ordered is doing great as is the olive that I cared for correctly (the other fried in the sun).

My 2020 order came about a month ago. Everything was well labeled. The apple and pear scions look great and were quite dormant. The lemon, hardy kiwis, and olives I ordered plugs of are all thriving so far. Very happy with the unusual items I haven’t seen anywhere else.

4 Likes

Bob, I know this is an old post but I’ve been looking at these same varieties ( minus Jin), can you report on how they’re doing for you?
Thanks

2 Likes

It will be a while before I know. Jujubes are not usually immediately productive in my climate.

2 Likes

Any updates?

2 Likes

I’ve made 2 orders from Fruitwood nursery in the last 6 months or so and I’m very happy. I think they’re a great resource for a small operation like what I’ve got going.
I’ve ordered persimmon and kiwi scion, feijoa seedling plugs, pawpaw and D. lotus rootstock. All received in good shape.
One tip, don’t rely on their “Notify Me” button.

5 Likes

They sold ‘Rolling River Nursery’, I have no idea why yet clearly they had to. When they sold ‘Rolling River Nursery’ that is about when the old company stopped being as reliable. @collitchboy I had bought cuttings from ‘Fruitwood Nursery’ this spring and the cuttings arrived in great condition. They were great cuttings.

3 Likes

@Zafak
Good choices on autumn olives! Did you graft or root them?

2 Likes

Yes, they have the best customer service, especially by today’s standards!

3 Likes

I was somewhat disappointed with their pear and apple cuttings which were short and thin compared to cuttings I received from Cummins which were twice as long and twice as thick.

3 Likes

I was kind of angry when the apple scion order I made online early in January–and which was shown as “confirmed”–ended up being only partially filled. Supposedly, two of the six scions I had ordered were “sold out” before sending them to me (3 months later)…and it was too late then to find those varieties anywhere else at that late date. Maddening, it was, and seemed very unprofessional. I will not be ordering from them again.

3 Likes

I got scion from them this year. No complaints

3 Likes

FWIW, same here. Scions were big and healthy.

1 Like

I ordered from them twice, each of the past 2 years. Both times their tool charged me shipping for the wrong region, and they promptly corrected it after the order.

Scions and service are great. Got my first loquat going from them, they were the only ones with wood when I wanted. Also got Shangjuan lemon.

3 Likes

Ordered around 15 scions of peach, apricot, persimmon, pawpaw, apple and pear. All were big and healthy and it seems all grafts took. Good nursery to do business with, the owner answered my emails.

3 Likes