Fruitwood Nursery

Fruitwood is EXCELLENT.

3 Likes

This was my 2021 order, very happy with the rooted Issai hardy kiwi cuttings and scions. I plan on ordering again from them next year.

3 Likes

Scions are appearing for about half the tree types including Jujube. I missed out on the Yazoo Li which had 2 when I added to the cart.

Good luck.

2 Likes

They experienced a catastrophic personal loss which devastated them . At the time they simply did not have room in their lives to continue with such a consuming business and chose to pass their legacy forward. Their opening of fruitwoodnursery shows incredible resiliency and is an amazing gift to us.

9 Likes

FYI, looks like they updated their scionwood lists for many things yesterday (including persimmons, hardy avocados, and many others), and a few have already sold out for the year. Get the scionwood while you can!

5 Likes

Yup. Started receiving availability emails from fruitwoodā€¦ They are inputting their inventory.

2 Likes

Great quality apple scions last year. Placed an order for apple scions this year then went back for other items and they were already sold out.

2 Likes

They sold out quite fast this year. I had the same experience. last year, they had stuff through February. But everything is going quickly. I guess with the cost of fruit trees, more people are getting into graftingā€¦

2 Likes

Well, Maple Valley Orchards should have their list out by mid December. They have a few I want that wasnā€™t on Fruitwoodā€™s list.

3 Likes

Quite a few nurseries are sold out of this or that scionwood or rootstock.

Iā€™m thinking that our hobby is catching on

3 Likes

Yep. But the reasons behind additional interest may not be ideals, but rather having unsettling thoughts about something to eat if things get more uncertain.

3 Likes

I just ordered 14 paw paw seedlings from Fruitwood nursery, and they have very nice roots, look to be in great condition. One arrived broken, but that is not their fault. I am sure the post office broke it.

4 Likes

My scions order from Fruitwood just arrived yesterday (Feb 2024). Product is of the highest quality. Some rare items. Assuming the varieties grow true to name, I am very pleased.

9 Likes

@Matt_in_Pennsylvania

The scions from them do look good!

Fruitwood was the first place I ordered scion from last year and Iā€™ve placed several orders since.

Everything has looked really good.

I also like their simple packaging. Itā€™s good to save the boxes for scion you want to send to others in the future.

1 Like

Iā€™ve used them. They are solid.

Iā€™m a huge fan of Fruitwood, both for scions and bareroot rootstocks, which have always come with lots of healthy roots and of a good graftable size. So far Iā€™ve ordered avocado, peach, and osage orange (for che) rootstocks from them in the last few years, along with an even wider array of scionwood. No complaints!

3 Likes

Has anyone ever gotten potted pawpaw plugs from them? Iā€™m curious about their health, size, and graftability.

1 Like

No, but I did buy some other plugs such as figs and a pomegranate. I would assume similar sizes which varied from 6-12 inches above the soil line. Everything arrived alive and healthy though I questioned the pomegrante with 2 little twigs pointing above the rooted cutting. They shipped in November 2021. Kept in pots they all grew to 3-4 foot now.

If buying something sold as a plug, itā€™s going to be too small to graft right off and will likely need to wait a year. The rootstock they sold were decent size and ready to graft.

2 Likes

I think those might be different diameter though since they are rooted cutting plugs, while the pawpaws are seedling plugs. Iā€™ve never bought either type of plug from them, though, so Iā€™m not sure what size to expect from the seedlings.