Fruitwood Nursery

I can’t say I’ve bought the pawpaw but I’m guessing from the $8 price on rootstocks or $6 price on superior seedling they will be on the smaller size/diameter. I would not expect it to be good for grafting this year.

2 Likes

Yes, I bought 14 of them and have 12 (2 were for a coworker).

Yesterday I was looking at them and I’ll be darned if one of them doesn’t have a little clone coming up next to it now. I put them in 12 inch tall tree pots, one was broke from shipping, but I used grafting compound to seal it back together.

They haven’t really woken up yet, so I didn’t realize they could grow a clone already or a sucker or whatever you call it but they had really nice looking roots and I’m assuming they’re still alive, no leaves pushing out or anything but I think that little sucker clone is a sign of life for sure.

2 Likes

During pandemic time I had some stuff take wayyyyy longer to get to me and none of the rough looking stuff made it. I’ve still been happy ordering from Fruitwood since that shipment.

1 Like

I almost guarantee they wouldn’t be graftable year one but haven’t ordered before from them…

I would recommend seed from England’s over pawpaw plugs.

I’ve ordered from them several times. Top notch experience every time.

1 Like

So they arrived dormant. About how thick are they on average? Half pencil thickness or more? I assume they’re only 1yr old seedlings, but just want to be sure.

Yeah I didn’t think so, but was curious nonetheless. I have plenty of seeds and smaller seedlings, but I may be short on graftable ones. Especially if some don’t wake up after a cold night in the garage.

I will send you a picture. Sorry for delayed response, we’re off grid and I work full-time and drive 80 miles round-trip to go to work so I’m pretty tired. Good news is my order from TOA arrived today, just in time for a Covid outbreak at work and an incoming blizzard lol.

1 Like

I am happy to report that the grafting/budding wood they sent me was a good size and they had the fastest shipping I have ever experienced from a horticulture company. I am very impressed by them.

2 Likes

I ordered three different types of sweet Cherry scions. They came in good shape, nice sized and I have them on my tree. I also received a follow up email from Marc to insure the order was in good condition. Very happy so far. BTW - all the grafts are starting to leaf out.

2 Likes

How long has the graft been on?

1 Like

1 Like

Those are actually bigger than I expected. Maybe I’ll put in for a half dozen. Are those the pots they came in?

Hi, it’s been about a month. Our Cherry trees and Nectarine. trees are the 1st to wake up. Apple grafts are still asleep.

Not to take business from Fruitwood, but have you tried your local Soil and Water Conservation to see if they have a tree sale. My local SWCD sells paw paw seedling 5 for $10.00. Some of the ones I have gotten were graftable the first year.

1 Like

They’re not native to here.

Where are you located?

New Hampshire

I think I’ll be okay with what I have though. Fruitwood got back to me today and said they may have more rootstock seedlings (not the plugs) to add to the inventory later this spring. There’s someone “locally” I may try as well if I feel like driving 2 hours.

3 Likes

Ah, I see. Not native but hardier pawpaws still grow there. Well, have fun with your pawpaw projects! I know I have.

1 Like