Grafting a Morus Rubra on a Morus Alba or Hybrid

I was looking into grafting a Morus Rubra (Varaha) onto a Morus Alba (Kokuso) or a hybrid (Oscar). Has anyone had any success or experience with this? Or should I just attempt to root the Varaha?

1 Like

It’s not a problem.
I have a 20+ yr old graft of a local rubra on M.alba understock.

My personal experience has been that 0% of dormant-collected cuttings of M.rubra or M.rubraXalba hybrids rooted. But… I don’t have bottom heat or a mist system. Perhaps a heated propagation mat might improve matters, IDK.
I have rooted hybrids and albas from mid-summer semi-hardwood and greenwood cuttings, but have never successfully rooted a rubra. But… I’ve not devoted a lot of time or TLC to the cuttings, so there’s that…

1 Like

Thank you @Lucky_P. Very helpful information.

Varsha is likely a selection of feral M. alba x rubra. Regardless, several folks here find the flavor very good.

1 Like

My spidey senses are telling me I should graft over my 1-year old Kokuso with Varaha.

1 Like

I too will be adding Varaha this year. I will likely also graft over my kokuso, maybe with Varaha but also perhaps Kaester.

Can anyone compare it to other common varieties? Like IE/Silk Hope/Pakistan etc.

1 Like

@ramv In your zone, There are some good varieties to try. King James I immediately comes to mind. It’s probably my favorite Morus Nigra after Gelso Nero della Regina, which I’ve never seen in the US.

1 Like

I think Kaester might be one of the best as it is such a beautiful and vigorous shade tree in California. Usually Morus Nigra is slow growing but Kaester is faster and has larger fruit.

Here is a recent photo of one.

7 Likes

Let me guess - Emma Prusch? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Wow! How did you guess? LOL

2 Likes

We all know these chickens. :laughing: :laughing: :wink: :rooster:

3 Likes

Also, my daughter goes to preschool there. So, I know the place (even) better now

3 Likes

Wow,
Now I feel there may be hope for my IE that I had to do some rather large surgical cuts on this year to remove some rot spots. Looks like this one healed from similar cuts. Thanks for posting this pic!
Dennis
Kent, wa

1 Like