Growing pecans in the Balkan

Greetings to everyone, I have not been here for a long time on the forum. At least I did not write on topics. As I said I would take pictures of my progress and make a topic. To note that I do not have photos from the beginning because my mobile phone was stolen and photos lost.
So here it is the rest.

As u can see my seedlings are not so big. Im happy that i have some at all. The weather was very weird this year. They started to emerge from soil very late. It may be my fault that I did not place them in a better location, but it was only free and safe that no one would touch them.

2 Likes

The order is a little confused, but you will understand which of the periods are based on the number and size of the plants. I’m putting photos here for the first time :slight_smile:
Here are the last photos. Some of them were very late with sprouting.
Also I dig up some of the nuts and few was bad, but one is good. At least I think like that. Today I put that in a pot and I’ll see what will happen. Not to forget, I did not fertilize them at all.
IMG_20180923_173129|690x920

!
IMG_20180923_173137|690x920
As you can see, mosses on the ground have formed from damp weather, it was a very rainy summer

2 Likes

Of 67 came out 20 with including this one with just a couple of inches. I put them in lines of 10. I also planted a couple of other nuts and I have 7 Heartnut and 3 F2 Selbher hickory seedlings.
Pictures of them

Heartnuts are the biggest.
My greatest gratitude for nuts and the chance to try all of this goes to @Barkslip

7 Likes

Congratulations, that’s not bad germination in-ground at all.

Dax

2 Likes

Thank you. As an amateur I am satisfied at the end. Maybe some sprout out next year, half of the nuts is in the ground :smiley:
I read how @Fusion_power did it and I was thrilled with the results to be honest.
I have a question about what to do now with seedlings. Do I leave them here for another year or have them transferred to a better location where they will have full sunshine? I also plan to fertilize them.

2 Likes

For the size seedlings, it would be best if they can stay where they are for another year. Just be sure to dig them at the end of next fall. Pecan seedlings can grow very rapidly once established and easily get too big to transplant.

Please work out a way to fertilize them next spring. Cow or horse manure are excellent fertilizers for nut trees.

1 Like

they can stay where they are. but it will not have much light, because there is an apple tree above it, and it is quite large. its blocking the sun a lot. I can find fertilizer because I’m surrounded by villages. Will it be good sheep manure also?

1 Like

Pecan seedlings are very tolerant of shade, but they will not grow as vigorously as they would if in full sun. Use your discretion. If there is plenty of room for the seedlings, then transplant the largest and leave the smaller to grow another year. Yes, sheep manure works well as fertilizer. Do not apply it next to the stem of the tree. Work it into the soil a few inches away from the stem.

3 Likes

I found mine photos and also articles about the only recorded pecan tree in Serbia. I think it is better to put them in this topic than in the genereal pecan topic where I first mentioned.

article has a detailed description of the tree, nuts, leaves, etc. and the most important things are also translated in English. A friend of mine was able to get some nut and tasted it to see if it would germinate.

It seems that the tree is self-fertile because the nuts are germinating.

4 Likes

It is time to update this topic. This year I have received a lot of pecans, big thanks goes again to Dax.
This time I did things a little different. I store all of pecans in a refrigerator. After that I scarify some of them and put them all in moistened soil and keep them in warm and sunny place. This spring was totally strange. It was very cold,rainy with a lot of late frosts and planting season was prolonged a lot. Germination rate was very promising.

This one was at my office, I put two nuts just for trial.

About half was germinated and half wasnt. I put them in soil very late, I was trying to find them some good space and in the end I put them in my sisters yard. They had some unused piece, luckily for me.

This is the place. I was very disappointed with them. Only one was emerged from soil, actually two but one was killed by heat. It was totally crazy weather this year!
I had to dig some to see what happens.

They look live, but I had some suspicious thoughts. I was afraid that they was cooked of heat, even if they get watering every day.

1 Like

Yesterday I check them again and I dig up again some.

It still look good. And after better look I noticed two new ones.

What a joy! Probably more of them will emerge, I just have to wait. They will not have much time to grow :expressionless: but maybe summer will be long enough, it wouldnt surprise me.
Those hickories from some previous photo I get from my friend, he bought them in USA and none of them are showing any signs of germination.

2 Likes

This ones are the same nuts, I send them to my friend here to plant them. He have better conditions for growing. He had much better success.

3 Likes

Conclusion from my attempts is that is the best way for planting them is to put them in ground in autumn-winter and let nature do the job. Just to find good soil and that’s it.

2 Likes

this seedling is from last year. A lot of them start branching so I cut surpluses and let only one to grow hopping to boost growth a little.

1 Like

Like this, and this one is from this year. I put it in some container bags I bought from china.
I have slow germination of pawpaw,d.virginiana,pecan and chestnut in them. I had to put them in shade cause after few hours in full sun they was completely dry.

I dont know what is going on whit this two. I thought that little one was dead but apparently wasnt, and this with yelow leaves is enigma for me. Maybe I put the fertilizer too close to the tree, not sure.

1 Like

And here it is my friends procedure. He was pinched majority of nuts and they sprouted very well.

3 Likes

Very good, Martin. Mine are still coming up with new ones seen weekly. I plant in Fall and simply wait.

Dax

3 Likes

I thought that was disaster, I was very disappointed. But after all maybe this year was just like that. I’m expecting more of new seedlings in coming weeks.

2 Likes

You can always do it differently and Fall plant.

2 Likes