Here comes the 2021 Apple and pear harvest!

Thank you very much! And Niitaka?

2 Likes

Niitaka is slightly less sweet than the 4, but better than Korean Giant.

2 Likes

Thank you very much, that’s a great help! :blush: :+1:

2 Likes

It can all change once KG ripens up. But Atago and Niitaka are also not 100% ripe yet

2 Likes

Your Honey Sweet does not appear to match Cummins’ description.
Your has not russetting at all.

Your pear looks like a green D’Anjou pear.

1 Like

You do have a strong argument here. Indeed most photos show russeting. I am 100% sure I got it as ‘Honeysweet’. It also ripens early September, and mine is still not fully ripe and still hanging well. I’m kinda disappointed now, but thanks for your remark.

2 Likes

The sum total of my apple harvest this year…

On April 3rd the temp dropped to 22F. Apples as well as cherry/plum/peach were either in full bloom or had some fruit starting. It all turned black and fell off, or so I thought. A few months later I noticed this Virginia Beauty apple about 10’ up in a tree. It’s small, and lopsided, but it is a harvest! :wink:

Luckily we were flush with strawberries/raspberries/blackberries/blueberries this year. Since tree fruit was limited to this one lone apple… Ah well, there’s always next year.

5 Likes

We had the same thing here happen last year. Right at the peak of blooming we had a huge temp drop into the 20’s. Peaches and apples were in full bloom. I have 30 apple trees and I had only about a dozen apples. Most were all gnarled and very small. This year I had a great harvest year. However, we did have a period of very cold weather, then it got hot, then got cold again. Some of my fruit was a lot smaller than normal. All my peaches were about 20-25% their normal size. Some of my apples were a lot smaller as well. Yet other apples on the trees were their normal size.

2 Likes

:cry: :laughing: wendel - i dont know whether to laugh or cry. Poor lonely little apple. So sorry for your bad apple year. :weary:

2 Likes

Luscious are my favorites, too, but in a couple years you’ll have pears coming out of your ears.

1 Like

How do you guys determine that Asian pears are ready? I get some Shin Li still on the tree. They are large and taste good. Just not sure if they get sweeter hanging longer. Or they get spoiled?

1 Like

I can’t tell.but I keep a log of each pears ripe date in the pass as reference. Frankly, pear on same tree but on different branches seems ripe differently. So my method is pick a pear everyday other day to see if it is somewhat ripe

1 Like

@PharmerDrewee did you pick jilin yet? It is ripe in my yard. Ihave one dropped and I picked it up. Its texture similar to Korean giant, sweetness like dripping honey , flavor is unusual, mixed in some European pear’s aroma maybe, hard to describe

1 Like

Yes, I’ve picked all of them. It is very unique among Asian pears. I did not like the texture very much though. It’s too hard for me. I had ortho finished and my teeth can’t handle it!

4 Likes

Interesting, my pear shapes differently. The smaller ones are not developed well so it is on the harder side, but the large one are crunchy like most of the Asian pear is. Iagree the flavor is interesting though.
Let me pick a few and show you the picture

1 Like

@PharmerDrewee here are the pictures
On the tree them look more European pear shape but my mistakes. My pear shape looks like yours . I picked 1/3 and left some on the tree so they can continue to ripen .

7 Likes

It never ceases to amaze me that your zone 5 fruit ripen way ahead of mine zone 6. I think because you have more sun/heat in the summer .

1 Like

Only this year I think. This year everything is ripe earlier

2 Likes

@tonyOmahaz5 is in zone 5 Omaha. His fruit ripen ahead of mine every year. His spring arrives early and his summer is a lot hotter than New England‘s. We hardly ever get extreme heat.

Our low could be low but the high is not very high and not long, either

1 Like

Andrew,
Your Jilin pears won’t win a beauty contest any time soon :joy:

When will you pick Shin Li?

1 Like