Hosta and shade perennial plants

I just started to plant some Hosta under my fruit trees’ shade. Could you post pictures of your Hosta and shade perennial plants here. So we can share all experiences. Thank you (May 15th 22)

8 Likes

Great looking hosta plants. So many wonderful hosta choices to pick from.
I have planted about 250 hostas in the last three years. I live in a wooded area and most of my growing my area is shaded. I just covered an area over to just growing hostas.

2 Likes

Wow you have a lot different varieties of Hosta . I just started Hosta beds this year and having about over 20 varieties. Some of them have no ID and trying collect more and more later. Thank you for your post @MikeC if you have some pictures of your Hosta would be wonderful sharing here.

I will post some when they are all up. Most of them as still coming up now. I try, try mind you, to keep the little plastic box they came in to see how I like the different varieties. Some take a number of years to be the actual size they are supposed to be. I have planted a lot of different varieties. Some areas I want the really big ones, Empress Wu, Sum and Substance, T-Rex, Komodo Dragon, etc. I put those in the back and some smaller ones in the front. I prefer ones that are large. I am trying to fill up the open space and try to make the ground covered so the weeds cannot come up. I have some that attract butterflies, hummingbirds, and bees. I like varieties that also have a fragrance. When they bloom it is nice to see the insect and bird interactions.
I do not have 250 different varieties, just 250 plants.

3 Likes

I am very new to Hosta but having a couple varieties about 8 years old. Now feel like more interesting about them. Looking for some rare beautiful ones.
I think they’re are in 4 different size of the
Plant group: Dwarf, medium, tall and giant. Yes some of them growing very slow. I would like have some varieties grow as clumping better than separate each individual. Some new young buds are also edible.

1 Like

I like mixing in some huecheras “coral bells” near the hostas.

3 Likes

Good idea. However they look very good with
Golden Japanese Forest Grass.
(Hakonechloa macra “ Aureola”)
Cỏ Nhật.

3 Likes

I’m trying out some new shade plants this year: American wild ginger, palm sedge, trillium. I’m also a big fan of ferns and Solomon’s seal. I’ll have to get some pictures later.

3 Likes

Wild ginger is awesome. Such a cool plant and it really does smell like ginger. The flowers are unusual so low to the ground. Wild Geranium, ginseng, virginiana bluebells, lots of other choices!

3 Likes

I like fiddleheads in the spring so I’ve got five or six ostrich ferns in my shade spot. hosta’s are from last year, I like them so far but they’re small. I also have hellebores and gooseberries over here. the hellebores come right up through the snow.

2 Likes

Normally buy Hosta at local nurseries is better sizes than ordering online. Now I have about 40 different varieties. It’s very interesting for Hosta collection.

5 Likes

A border of hostas here has failed, and I’ve replaced them with brunneras. Hope they work out. They have the variegated leaves.

1 Like

Some more Hosta addition.

7 Likes

My poor hostas - the heat wave left their leaves curled up and singed.

1 Like

Some addition

4 Likes

Is that Feather Falls sedge? I just picked up one of those, as well as an Evergold. The Evergold was big enough to divide in three. It’ll look funny this year, but I expect it to fill out nicely in a year or two.

1 Like

@jcguarneri Its name Eversheen Japanese Sedge. I am looking for the one called Carex siderosticha Banana
Boat and Snowcap Sedge now.

1 Like

Here are a few of my hosta plants I have. They do take a few years to grow to their stated height.

3 Likes

@MikeC your Hosta look so beautiful Mike. The first picture looks like Stained Glass Hosta. I wonder its growing spread habit? I would like the clumping growing is better. Just done a little of my new Hosta bed this afternoon.7.1st.22

2 Likes

@Vincent_8B What variety is that second hosta from the bottom, green leaves with the center white stripe? That one is amazing!!! Edit, just saw you posted more! This one:

3 Likes