Hurricane Florence thread

So far, apparently NO deaths from storm surge
with Hurricane Florence.
BB

1 Like

(1) The guy standing in water while plugging into his generator.
(2) The 59 yearold woman who had a heart attack and paramedics could not reach her due to flooding and other obstacles.

1 Like

Oh my. That’s sad.
It’s confusing to say this is a Cat 1 with a Cat 4 storm surge b/c the surge comes from the wind (tangential wind lifting water like the Bernoulli effect) and there is a big dif in surge between a Cat 4 and Cat 1. It’s hard to say at this point if the flooding is from storm surge or rain…more likely rain IMHO. But what does it matter when lives are lost. So sad.

2 Likes

Weather Channel correspondent Mike Seidel braces against the wind as two guys walk calmly walk past behind him. Aargh…

3 Likes

I agree. However, when Florence was 100 miles off-shore the eye wall was pushing a 40 mile long 80+ foot high swell westward – and in front (west) of that a similar swell but “only” 40 feet high. These created tides 8’ above normal highs far up the river mouths. Couple that with the 14cm/hour tropical storm downpour that has no place to go and you have serious inland flooding.

2 Likes

My kids pointed out that kind of weather drama even 20 years ago and made jokes about it, and even had that as part of a movie they made, LOL.
One could ask, why is this done? Does this represent the truth to the viewers? What’s the point? It contributes to a jaded view of what’s being presented. Sad.

4 Likes

I heard one guy in New Bern say he had over 55 inches of rain in his gauge.

1 Like

What gauge has 55 inches?

I saw an article that said 10" gauges were spilling over before they could be manually read

2 Likes

My daughter showed me this video. That is sad when the weather man has to make it look more dramatic that what it actually is. WHY are these weather people out in a huge storm anyway? It makes so sense and does not give me any more perspective that just showing me a picture of what is actually happening there. Unnecessary risk for the sake of drama. Even with a helmet on if they get injured , killed, or swept away what is the point? If swept away who is going to save them? The first responders are not even going out in this.

4 Likes

A continuous gauge on a home weather station.

https://youtu.be/PS4F5g_GyVw?t=2m9s

He does say that “I must be doing something wrong”

3 Likes

Even though the low pressure is just north of Charlotte, a major portion of the moisture and storm clouds are to the NE of it. Torrents of rain are likely to hit Virginia, D.C., and NYC as it turns back into the Atlantic.

Florence%20radar

1 Like

We’re getting some light showers from it now, with heavier rain overnight and tomorrow. But it’s only supposed to drop an inch or two at the most, and then be out of here by tomorrow night. Good riddance, Flo.

I imagine this will be a retired name because of all the damage. I don’t know if it’s dumped as much rain as Harvey did, but it seemed to cover a larger area. I’ll be curious to see the rain totals.

3 Likes

Lookslike it’s finally going to catch the westerlies and get swept out to sea

Looks like the Euro model wins yet again (see prediction of 4 days ago above). Americans, get your act together!!

7 Likes

Sprinkles in Kentucky …and the center of Florence passed 30 or 40 miles east of I-75 in early afternoon. Maybe inch and half in Kentucky. Then there was a rainbow a while before sunset this evening and the sun came out.

1 Like

It moved very fast

1 Like

Although most of the storm moved on, there is still intense rain along the North Carolina shore.

2 Likes

For many people near the N.C. coast, Florence isn’t over.

2 Likes