Hybrid Persimmons Future Look Great

Hybrid persimmon Dar Sofiyivky - #71 by JustPeachy Reference for those looking for JT-02 pictures. Don’t want to double post pictures.

1 Like

@JustPeachy – That statement was made in 2018. Does @Harbin still believe it?

Go read the date on the post I responsed to in the other thread. There is a reason I posted there.

@JustPeachy – Done. I get it. See my response. I have a JT-02 fruit on a graft. I think I actually published pictures a couple weeks ago. Here are two pictures taken 10/23.

5 Likes

Looks good.

A comparison of my IKKJ, JT-02, and Kassandra fruits.

Yes today I picked the JT-02 in the picture above.

1 Like

JT02 vs Nikita’s gift side by side. NG is more red

JT02 — 24 brix
NG - 22.5 brix

JT02 ripens atleast one week earlier than NG

flavor wise they are very similar except for slightly higher sweetness/honeyed flavorof JT02. But that might be individual variation.
NG is more firm when ripe. JT02 is softer.
NG fruit seems slightly larger.

Both fruits were pollinated by Maru. I will grow the seeds out or send out to the community.

25 Likes

Absolutely love this! Thank you for the detailed comparative review @ramv !

1 Like

Here are the remainder of my JT-02 this year. Do these look right? @tonyOmahaz5 @SMC_zone6 @KYnuttrees @mamuang

12 Likes

YES, those are correct

NICE , in some year they are darker much darker

4 Likes

Yes. Looks great. I bought the JT-02 from Cliff and passed on the scions to you I believed.

Tony

2 Likes

Yes, Tony. Thank you so much for sharing this one with me. It’s very tasty. Can’t wait to have more in the coming years.

Thanks for confirming @KYnuttrees I’m looking forward to growing more of these hybrids.

1 Like

I think We all should cross the heck out of JT-02 every chance we get. It is super cold hardy, late to leafed out in Z5 so don’t have to worry about late frost and very tasty. Use both Hybrid males and Kaki males. It got good parentage.

Tony

8 Likes

I don’t know. I am quite confused. What are the characteristics of JT-02? The leaves, the size and the shape of the fruit?

My “JT-02” fruit’s size is similar to @PharmerDrewee but the shape of the fruit from the same tree varied a bit.

The leaves when green looked like this.

In the fall, they turned yellow, not red.

7 Likes

I agree totally. The parentage is very robust.

It would seem especially promising to cross with a male Kaki PCNA, which would produce some hybrid non-astringent offspring.

I’ll repeat my suggestion that we try Taishu, if we can acquire it. Taishu is, of course, the male parent of JT-02. The two main benefits of using Taishu: (1) It is known to produce male flowers, and (2) It has diverse PCNA parentage (Fuyu, Jiro, x-gosho).

1 Like

Here is my JT-02 leaf in late September. I stripped the leaf early to forced it into dormancy. I moved 7 large size JT-02 to my new acreage house.

Tony

3 Likes

Wow! My little JT-02’s don’t have any leaves near that big. What kind of Baby Huey fertilizer are you using?

1 Like

I used 10-10-10 one application in the Spring and I guessed the 5 lawn fertilizers from the lawn company.

Tony

3 Likes

@Barkslip
Dax,
I apologize for taking a long time for me to answer your question. I could not find where I kept these persimmons for a couple of days.
These fruit were given to me by the wonderful Steven @SMC_zone6 .

Unlike Steven, I don’t have refined taste buds and can’t quite detect subtle flavors. I can tell you basic taste and whether or not I like it.

Of these four, Chuchupaka had firmer texture than the other three.
Both Chuchupaka and Kassandra were sweet without bitterness or astringency.

Prok had the least sweetness and was the least interesting. I tasted a bit of stringency, too.

100-46 tasted sweeter than Prok but I detected bitter aftertaste. Did not know if it was because the fruit was very ripe or not.

The first time I tried these four, I liked Chuchupaka the most. This round, I liked Kassandra a tad more.

All in all, I enjoy both chuchupaka and Kassandra. 100-46 was ok. Prok was a disappontment.

One of my friends gave me a lot of Yates. It was intensely sweet with soft texture… Some may find it too intense. I like it a lot.

12 Likes

thank you