Persimmons 2022

The persimmons are dropping their leaves now.

Miss Kim

Jiro

Jin Yong

Tam Kam

Tam Kam #2

Saijo

Fruit from Saijo #2 hiding in the vegetables.

Il Mok Jae Cha Ryang

Tipo

24 Likes

@PharmerDrewee

Hi Andrew,

What can you tell us about the differences in Il Mok Jae Cha Ryang and Jin Yong?

These both have sparked my interest, I’m looking to add one more PCNA to my backyard orchard.

Dom

1 Like

I had that happen to a multi-graft. It used to have ~5 varieties, now it is just Miss Kim (the highest graft).

I did that by accident with Il Mok Jae Cha Ryang (NA). It and Picudo are both grafted onto Nikita’s Gift (hybrid), which is then grafted onto a virginiana rootstock.

The Nikita’s Gift has a number of lower branches, which seem to be doing OK. I wonder if it is good to discourage animals. I bet NA persimmons get eaten more than astringent ones. If the bottom half of the tree is astringent, I bet most animals wouldn’t bother to climb high enough to test the rest…

The time Miss Kim took over the other grafts, they didn’t last long enough for me to get any fruit from them. On the other hand, the other multi-graft has produced fruit from all 3 varieties.

4 Likes

Thanks

1 Like

Dom,

They are very similar but Jin Yong might be a more vigorous tree, and the fruit might be slightly larger. They seem to ripen at around the same time. I’m not sure how consistent this will be. I’ve only been growing them for 3 years and this is their first year fruiting.

2 Likes

FWIW, here are typical examples of my Ichi Ki Kei Jiro, JT-02/Mikkusu, and Kassandra fruits (left to right).

This is my sole, first ever JT-02. It grew on a graft that I put on IKKJ last year. I also have a 2nd year tree (JT-02 on DV rootstock) that I started at the same time. But it will be a couple years, I think, until it ripens fruit. I figured that by grafting I could take a short-cut to a taste.

Weights are 217 g, 70 g, and 49 g, respectively.

11 Likes

How old and tall are your Saijos? Thinking of planting one next to my pawpaws but want to make sure it won’t shade them out before they can get more established.

They are 3 years old and are around 12 and 16 feet tall with top pruning. It seems to be more upright and narrow in form right now with stronger branches at the top of the tree. You could prune the lower branches to give your pawpaws more light.

1 Like

@jrd51 Joe, I’ll be interested in a detailed review on taste once you get to it. :blush:

I’ll try! There’s only one JT-02.

1 Like

Mangos and pomegranates sure look funny when grown in Pennsylvania.

The round ones in the left are Cheong Pyong. The round ones on the right are JT-02. I’d say JT-02 is comparable to a smaller kaki.

21 Likes

Where’d you get the orange acorns? I’ve never seen orange acorns before, not to mention that big.

:open_mouth: :slight_smile: :smiley:

5 Likes

They’re actually orange grenades as printed on the far right.

4 Likes

Maybe you can contribute to the “detailed review on taste” requested by @Marco!

2 Likes

Hi,

Can you or anyone tell me where I can find a Miss Kim tree. Thanks.

Absolutely amazing @PharmerDrewee !!!

2 Likes

I bought mine from Edible Landscaping 3 years ago. It sure is precocious.

2 Likes

One traditional Chinese way to remove astringency in kaki persimmons:

Collect some marsh pepper smartweeds (they’re everywhere in my garden), put a layer of smartweeds at the bottom of a container, then add a layer of astringent persimmons, then put another layer of smartweeds and then repeat, add water to cover everything (some people also add wood ashes) and seal the container. Leave the container in a cool place for a week. The astringency will be gone and the persimmon should be hard, crunchy and sweet.

I never tried this method. But you can give it a try. I know personally people used wood ashes to speed up the ripening process of astringent persimmons.

3 Likes

That sounds interesting. Why does this process remove astringency? I have plenty of nonastringent fruit this year. I’m trying to store and slowly ripen the astringent fruit so I have some for winter.

Here’s a nice Saijo that ripened early after being damaged by a bird peck. It was deliciously sweet.

13 Likes

Lovely looking persimmon. Any thoughts on how your Mazugata compares to Saijo? I thought it maybe won some taste tests at the old research station at Wye or something like that.

1 Like