Hybridizing stone fruits

A weeping seedling from a pluot.

5 Likes

What was the seed parent?

I picked the last Luna peachmond today.

2 Likes

I don’t know. This was from a few years back when I didn’t bother keeping records. I wish I did know, but if it produces good fruit I’ll be happy regardless.

3 Likes

I picked my proprietary SunRose Peacharine today and I made this delicious dish.

7 Likes

was it a fuzzless fruit?

1 Like

It has fuzz similar to Flavorrella plumcot.

1 Like

Nice looking fruit. How does it taste.

2 Likes

Notice something?

Rootpack 70. (Prunus persica x Prunus davidiana) x (Prunus dulcis x Prunus persica)
AGROMILLORA IBERIA.

SpicyNectaplum.[(Nectarine×(Nectarine×Peach))×(Nectarine×(Plum×Peach))]. Zaiger.

Citation. Peach x plum. Zaiger.

Calired. Benitez. ( peach x almond) x unknown pollen.

Notice that all of these hybrids exibit red leaves at some point of their growth.

4 Likes

Soleil Peachmond, a cross between Elberta Peach, pollen parent, x F1Nonpareil Almond, seed parent.

3 Likes

How does it taste?

2 Likes

i will be trying

northstar pie cherry x indian free peach

northstar pie cherry x tangos peach

and a bubblegum plum x loring peach over the next couple of years

interesting to see your peach cherry hybrids

4 Likes

Tart cherries are tetraploids and peaches are diploids, so they can’t cross until you equal them out by making the peach a tetraploid. You can only do that with chemicals. It might pollinate the peach but the seeds will be sterile unless you change ploidy levels to match.
Plums and peaches are both diploids so a cross is possible, but some plums won’t even accept pollen from other unrelated plums, let alone a peach, so some luck has to swing your way to get a cross. Sweet cherries are diploid too, a different species than the tart cherries.
Almonds are very closely related to peaches, they will pollinate each other. Crosses are easy between them and very common. A few are sold as hardy almonds. Such as Halls Hardy Almond.

2 Likes

I haven’t tasted this one, but its sister sibling fruit, Luna, tastes like a bland peach.

2 Likes

It looks more almond than peach.

2 Likes

i read that a sweet cherry and a sour cherry hybrid was possible so, i thought i would give it a try, i still might give it a try

but will be deffinately be tryign the loring peach x bubblegum plum hybrid

i will try each parent with the other parents pollen as some species of pepper are more receptive to ones pollen then the other way around

2 Likes

Yes it is, they use colchicine to change the ploidy level of sweet cherries. A few chemical companies sell the chemical, but I would be careful using it. You coat the branch and all growth, such as flower buds will have double the normal chromosomes. You start coating the branch in late winter before growth. I would do it three or four times, once a week to make sure. I had instructions at one time but lost them.
All tart-sweet cherry hybrids were made this way. Not possible any other way. Flowering fruit plants that don’t produce fruit are like 28 ploidy level, most cannot form fruit, although a few produce once in awhile. All were made with colchicine or similar chemicals.

5 Likes

that is useful information i probably won’t do it because i dont use harsh chemicals, hope the plum peach hybrid will work, will still be thinking up new crosses with that info in mind

1 Like

You know once in awhile an error can occur, and chromosomes can double on their own. So it is possible if you get lucky to get a cross between the sweet and tart, although I never heard of anybody being this lucky, still it costs nothing to try. So try it! Often they may form fruit but it is sterile. Like a horse and a donkey produce a mule, which is a sterile animal, still it produces an animal, it has an odd number of chromosomes. I thought of doing it, I found a place that sells it. For human use you need a script. It is used in some treatments.
http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/catalog/product/sigma/c3915?lang=en&region=US

Part of the problem is dosage and such to use. one would have to really research deep and talk to researchers about it. So I decided not to do it. Well for now. Here is a small study
http://scholar.lib.vt.edu/ejournals/JARS/v44n3/v44n3-paden.htm

3 Likes

Here is an article I found

Since chromosome segregation is driven by microtubules, colchicine is also used for inducing polyploidy in plant cells during cellular division by inhibiting chromosome segregation during meiosis; half the resulting gametes therefore contain no chromosomes, while the other half contain double the usual number of chromosomes (i.e., diploid instead of haploid as gametes usually are), and lead to embryos with double the usual number of chromosomes (i.e. tetraploid instead of diploid). While this would be fatal in animal cells, in plant cells it is not only usually well tolerated, but in fact frequently results in plants which are larger, hardier, faster growing, and in general more desirable than the normally diploid parents; for this reason, this type of genetic manipulation is frequently used in breeding plants commercially. In addition, when such a tetraploid plant is crossed with a diploid plant, the triploid offspring will be sterile, which may be commercially useful in itself by requiring growers to buy seed from the supplier, but also can often be induced to create a “seedless” fruit if pollinated (usually the triploid will also not produce pollen, therefore a diploid parent is needed to provide the pollen). This is the method used to create seedless watermelons, for instance. On the other hand, colchicine’s ability to induce polyploidy can be exploited to render infertile hybrids fertile, as is done when breeding triticale from wheat and rye. Wheat is typically tetraploid and rye diploid, with the triploid hybrid infertile. Treatment with colchicine of triploid triticale gives fertile hexaploid triticale.
When used to induce polyploidy in plants, colchicine is usually applied to the plant as a cream. It has to be applied to a growth point of the plant, such as an apical tip, shoot or sucker. Seeds can be presoaked in a colchicine solution before planting. As colchicine is so dangerous, it is worth noting that doubling of chromosome numbers can occur spontaneously in nature, and not infrequently. The best place to look is in regenerating tissue. One way to induce it is to chop off the tops of plants and carefully examine the lateral shoots and suckers to see if any look different.[7] If there is no visual difference flow cytometry can be used for analysis.

It would be interesting to treat some seeds and see what you get!?! That would be easy to do.

3 Likes