Hybridizing stone fruits

interesting read, i think i will try emerald beaut plum with tangos peach

2 Likes

I’m starting with crosses in the same species. If I had room, i probably would experiment more.
I have so many projects going, I can’t do more.

2 Likes

I concur, i will probably try 100 of each type and save the best tree

I have decided to try indian free x flavor supreme as my last cross

2 Likes

FYI Colchicine is derived from the bulb of the autumn crocus many of us likely keep in our flower beds.

5 Likes

Yes, I looked at growing them at one time.

1 Like

I picked the last Sunrose Peacharine today.

8 Likes

Taste good?

Tony

2 Likes

At this stage of ripeness, it tastes like a nectarine, it has the meting flesh of a peach, and the aroma between peach and nectarine.

2 Likes

I grow two nectarines, both white fleshed, they taste nothing alike. Arctic Glo has hints of cranberry, and the nectaplum tastes like a white nectarine, yellows taste nothing like either. Both have melting flesh. So I’m not sure what a nectarine is supposed to taste like? Peaches the same thing, the taste profiles are very different.

Let us remember The nectarine (Prunus persica var. nucipersica) is a small deciduous tree, or mutant branch originating from a peach tree (Prunus persica). The peach is native to China and the nectarine arose from peach trees and then selected by man. the peach is a member of the rose family, Rosaceae, and has a scientific name of Prunus persica. The nectarine, a peach mutation, is regarded as a naturally occurring variety of peach and provided the name Prunus persica var. nucipersica.
The Spanish brought peach trees to Mexico in the 15th century. Italian paintings in the 16th century also depicted and reinforced the peach’s popularity in Europe. By 1630, nectarines were being grown in England. In fact, six different varieties were recorded. This provides evidence that the fuzzless peach had been selected by horticulturists, not only for the fuzzless fruits, but for other characteristics as well, such as tree vigor, fruit color or flavor.
By 1720, nectarines were mentioned in literature or correspondence to be growing in the peach orchards in Virginia. A.J. Downing noted that in the mid 1850s there were 19 different “races” or varieties of nectarines extant.

Fossil endocarps with characteristics indistinguishable from those of modern peaches have been recovered from late Pliocene deposits in Kunming, dating to 2.6 million years ago. In the absence of evidence that the plants were in other ways identical to the modern peach, the name Prunus kunmingensis has been assigned to these fossils.

In April 2010, an international consortium, the International Peach Genome Initiative (IPGI), that include researchers from the United States, Italy, Chile, Spain, and France announced they had sequenced the peach tree genome (doubled haploid Lovell). Recently, IPGI published the peach genome sequence and related analyses. The peach genome sequence is composed of 227 millions of nucleotides arranged in eight pseudomolecules representing the eight peach chromosomes (2n = 16). In addition, a total of 27,852 protein-coding genes and 28,689 protein-coding transcripts were predicted.

Though fuzzy peaches and nectarines are regarded commercially as different fruits, with nectarines often erroneously believed to be a crossbreed between peaches and plums, or a “peach with a plum skin”, nectarines belong to the same species as peaches. Several genetic studies have concluded nectarines are produced due to a recessive allele, whereas a fuzzy peach skin is dominant.[4] Nectarines have arisen many times from peach trees, often as bud sports.

Background info is always useful in breeding, since fuzz is dominant two crosses are needed to go back to nectarines if using in breeding. I will probably do this myself with my peach-nectarine hybrids. Thinking of back crossing with the nectaplum to try and add their large size to the end product.

8 Likes

I will be planting two Peacharine seeds and hopefully, something interesting come out from these seeds.

1 Like

My proprietary Calired peach x almond interespecific hybrid rootstock is starting to leaf out.
Calired originated from my proprietary Luna Peachmond, seed parent, x unknown pollen. Luna peachmond originated from Elberta Peach, pollen parent, x my proprietary Earlynut Almond, seed parent. Earlynut almond originated from Nonpareil, Almond, seed parent, x Unknown pollen.

Uploading…

1 Like

You never know! I’m out of room, which sucks, but not much I can do. I am eliminating some plants. I have too many blackberries. I gave away 4 gallons this year. So I’m removing a number of my cultivars for good. So I will have a touch of room, I may add a tree, but I also have a number of bush fruits in containers I would not mind planting in ground. Still undecided as to what will go in that newly freed space? I do have one seedling planted, and was hoping to graft my other seedlings to it to save room until evaluated.

2 Likes

Here’s Calired again:

2 Likes

I picked the last Soleil Peachmonds today. They are a cross between Elberta Peach, pollen parent, x F1 Nonpareil Almond, seed parent.

5 Likes

As of some of you already know, I hand pollinated Flavor Top Nectarine flowers with F1 Moorpark Apricot— I already collected the seed and put them into cold stratification; now I’m wondering what would the seedlings would look like? Would the foliage look more like a nectarine, or an apricot, or like both?

3 Likes

I’m not sure, but I’m looking forward to finding out. Can’t wait to hear how it tastes, too.

3 Likes

still waiting on those indian free peach/cherries too
let us know

1 Like

My money is on Nectarine.

1 Like

If that’s the case, I might have trouble differentiating the hybrids from the standard seedlings.

1 Like

My Indian Free peach produced eight fruits and only one produced a viable kernel. This one is from the apricot-pollinated flowers.
I placed the seed under cold stratification. How long will it take to germinate? @Drew51.

3 Likes