Influence of rootstock vs scion

I’m relatively new to the world of grafting.

One thing that I don’t fully understand is the influence a rootstock has on the scion (and future growth thereof) or that the scion may have on the rootstock.

Here’s why I ask:
I have a seedling pawpaw tree in its 4th season, third in the ground. It seems very unhappy - the leaves are pale and are scalding slowly, and it’s only about 3 feet tall while its “litter mates” are flourishing and up to 7 feet tall already, planted only 6 feet away.
Either this tree is in a very unlucky spot of dirt, or it’s just genetically crappy :joy:

So my question is - if I use it as a rootstock, should I expect the scion to confer its health and vigor to the tree or should I expect the rootstock to sabotage the scion?

My guess is that a weak rootstock will result in a weak or failed scion/graft, but just want to confirm.

I vote for a healthy, vigorous rootstock; think your guess is right.

4 Likes

It could be a variety. My limited experience with pawpaws is with Shenandoah and Mango. Both went in ground the same day next to each other.

Shenandoah has grown very slowly compare to Mango. The first three years were painful to see a 2.5 ft Shenandoah next to a 5 ft tall Mango.

(Larwe found that other people seem to have the same experience with Shenandoah).

This is their 5th year in ground. Shenandoah is about 4 ft tall and Mango is over 7 ft.

By the way, I’ve learned that pawpaws need more water than I first thought. For two years, the tiny Shenandoah struggled and its leaves turned yellow early (by August). Once I start watering it deeply and never let it suffer a drought, the scalding, yellowing leaf issue was gone.

Mango has had no issue as it has a very steong growth to begin with,

2 Likes

Very cool to know that the watering seemed to solve the leaf issues for you.
I will take that into consideration!

I definitely have a fair amount of variation in the vigor of my pawpaws.

Their natural habitat is along creeks/brooks. It isin their genes, I guess.

2 Likes

Most assuredly!

1 Like

I have noticed a big difference in vigor in grafts from previously bare root trees vs grafts from previously potted trees. I almost always get a lot more vigorous growth from the previously potted ones…as they usually have a lot more feeder roots. Most bare root pawpaws I have ever received are pretty minimal on feeder roots and are less vigorous after grafting. Just my experience so far with pawpaws.

2 Likes

I hear ya - I totally stay away from bare root pawpaws. Have had terrible experience with them.
The tree in question was previously potted in a 14 inch depth pot.

I would most certainly replace it although agree with @mamuang her conclusions 100%.

The roots are having an issue TrilobaTracker. That you can be assured of. The problem now is that it’s gonna sucker (the current defective one.) So, plant a new rootstock/graft somewhere a bit ways from it.

It’s up to you whether you wish to try to kill off the current tree. So if you do and you use glyphosate/Round-up, kill the tree and wait till next year (Spring) to replant. I’ve been seeing more and more glyphosate damage to trees within my forested area where I painted/killed one tree after chainsawing but the ones next-to it died, too. So, put it all into your own perspective and decide after seeing results how you should proceed.

2 Likes

Some trees are just not as healthy. Just like human siblings have different vigor.
Kentucky champion is supposed to be fast and vigorous growing. Mine is sickly, has distorted leaves and thin branches. And grows slowly.

Meanwhile the Shenandoah next to it grew 2 feet this year already.

I have been feeding mine with urea and they have responded well with growth.

1 Like

Yep yep I gotcha - just more curious whether a purportedly vigorous scion like Chappell or Mango would basically “save” this weak tree.
It’s not sounding like a graft will overcome weak roots, which makes sense.

1 Like

Good advice!
I will likely replace it next year or take the super lazy route of planting some seeds near it.

I’d have to say that makes sense. Good luck.

2 Likes