Insect and Disease Identification Thread

Or how about this one? Brady

Lack of spines makes Yellow Bear more likely than the Sycamore. dutch-s where are you located?

North Florida. Zone 8-B

Soldier beetle larvae.

1 Like

This is on a mulberry. Itā€™s spreading fast. Anyone know what it is? I will try to blast it off with a hose tomorrow and apply need oil.

I had a Anna Apple that looked like that. Copper did the job on mine.

2 Likes

Two bugs I just found on my tangerine tree.

This ugly guy:

And this almost as ugly guy. I thought he might be an assassin bug, but it doesnā€™t look like it. Do I need to go back and squish him?

Iā€™m not sure about the top photo,but number two looks like a Stinkbug. Brady

1 Like

Top photo is Orange dogā€¦ Monach butterfly caterpillar. Second photo looks like brown marmorated stink bug.

TFN

Thank you! Iā€™ll have to go see if heā€™s still around this afternoon and then remove him.

Glad I squished the Orange Dog, Iā€™ve seen the occasional one around. This guy had already chewed up a few leaves, Iā€™ll have to go back and check for more as my citrus trees are too small to let these guys go unchecked. Itā€™s a shame that they target citrus, they are a striking looking butterfly.

Itā€™s actually a swallowtail not a monarch. I donā€™t know why I said monarchā€¦must be because I have several around right now. Good luck with your trees. I have over 50 citrus in the ground in zone 8a/b. Have to do a lot of winter protection.

TFN

1 Like

The ā€œOrange Dogā€ is the common name for a Giant Swallowtail caterpillar.

The stinkbug above is not the BMSB. It is very similar to the Rough Stink Bugs in the genus Brochymena. They appear bumpy and bark-like.

https://bugguide.net/node/view/3133/bgimage

I picked off two more today, one was pretty big and the other somewhat smaller. When pressed, they did stick out their forked ā€˜tongueā€™. Rather interesting to watch. I left them in the middle of the yard for the birds.

I cleaned this off with a hard blast of water. I still donā€™t know what it is.

It looks like some kind of fungal growth? You can sometimes get fungal blooms, the conditions are perfect so it multiplies. I get these bright yellow blooms in my mulch sometimes.

I had a small amount of it last year on a different mulberry and thought it was scale. I looked at it closer this year and agree it wasnā€™t scale but most likely a fungus. Happy that it came off easy with water from a house. Iā€™ll spray some copper later when dormant.

Found this guy in my garden the other day, he was huge! Left him on the patio table, a couple of hours later he was goneā€¦

I think that is probably woolly aphid. Fungus would be doing serious damage and need 100% humidity to have coverage like that.

Dog vomit fungus?
https://wimastergardener.org/article/dog-vomit-slime-mold-fuligo-septica/

1 Like