Insect and Disease Identification Thread

The only effective prevention I know for black knot is Indar. It has worked for me along with working for brown rot.

1 Like

Indar does not work on Black knot on my trees. It may slow down BKā€™s development but not prevent it, so far.

Is indar the white milky looking stuff? I have some but have never used it. I need to learn more about it and best tines to apply.

I donā€™t want to be a negative Nancyā€¦ I tried several fungicides and nothing worked for meā€¦ The only solution I found ā€¦ which was not really a true solution, was to cut the tree back very hard and graft other plum scions less susceptible to black knot. My Toka has done very well but I probably just jinxed myself. Cutting and burningā€¦ I cut and cut and cut for a few years as it moved to the tops I no longer could keep up with it as well as I was cutting most of the fruit bearing limbs outā€¦ . I didnā€™t try indar ā€¦ but from all I read there is no silver bullet.

If I have time tonight Iā€™m going to cut out the branches with Black knot and spray the tree with Indar. If the black knot keeps coming back Iā€™ll look at other options including regrafting or removing the tree. Itā€™s a shame it is easily the nicest tree I own. I have a lot of varieties grafted to it.

Think there would be any hard to mixing indar with Surround or imidan?

Why imidan? Isnā€™t that usually used as a drench?

Well Ive been spraying for PC. Thought that I could knock out to birds with one stone.

Dave,
Most people who spray Surround tend to avoid harsh pesticide. So, I donā€™t know who mix Imidan with Surround.

As for white milky stuff, a few fungicide meet that description. My Immunox and Indar look like that.

1 Like

Sorry for the confusion. I didnt mean to mix Imidan and surround. What i meant was to mix indar with either surround or Imidan. I want to spray the Indar for the black knot areas I plan to prune out. And i need another insect spray for PC. Ive sprayed Imidan but have considered spraying surround this time around.

Yes, Iā€™ve mixed Indar with Surround before. The only thing is do not use sticker with this mix.

1 Like

Hopefully the right thread to post this on. I have 20+ grafted apple trees in pots, most look great, this one looked great a few days ago. Newtown Pippin, all of a sudden looks like thisā€¦ Thoughts? Iā€™ve moved it, it was sitting right in the middle of the other this-year-grafts.

Praying mantis

1 Like

Thanks Reg!

Great critters to have around

Any ideas on what this is?
20190524_193924

Doesnā€™t look like a Plum Curculio,but definitely some kind of Weevil.bb

1 Like

Thatā€™s what I thought as well. Just donā€™t have any experience with PC - and donā€™t want it.

1 Like

I have a Methley and I have mostly grafted it to other more resistant varieties. It is not my worst offender but if possible I just cut it out. My longer plan is just to eliminate my trees that are most susceptible to black knot. I suspect location plays a big part in how bad they have issues. There are many good tasting plums and pluots so I plan to just get rid of the worst ones.

2 Likes

After finding the black knot on Methley, i had a closer look at the rest of my plums. I found a small knot on Emerald Beaut which I cut out. I didnt find it anywhere else.

I am noticing a bit more fruit set than I originally expected on my plums this year. Should be my first real harvest of plums.

3 Likes

I know nothing about Azaleas other than they prefer low pH soil. Do the leaves in this pic indicate high pH, lace wing infestation, or lack of nitrogen? Or something else?

1 Like