Insect and Disease Identification Thread

Maybe Hemaris diffinis - Wikipedia
the larval diet fits.

1 Like

Corrected my post, thank you

Agree with the lordkiwi ID of Snowberry Clearwing Moth, H. diffinis.
(based on smooth inner edge of outer forewing dark border)

The larva of this moth is not the tomato hormworm as stated above, the tomato hornworm is the larva of a different sphinx moth that is not one of the clearwings.

Nearly all sphinx moth caterpillars have a horn and are called hornworms.

3 Likes

Okay thanks. The seek app identified it as the clearwing hummingbird moth. “Hemaris thysbe”.

They are really neat to watch.

I love seeing these guys on our flowers each year (along with the actual hummingbirds). Such an interesting little critter. I noticed them for the first time probably in 2016 pollinating wild blackberry bushes on a jobsite in Greene County, PA.

2 Likes

Interesting. Must be this region. I live 2 miles from Greene County Pa. Haha

1 Like

Interesting, our Hummingbird Moth’s don’t have the clear window in the wing, and they are much later in the season. They love my Monarda blooms and swarm it each year.

Unlikely that the seek app has the ability to look at fine details of wing patterning.

There are several of the clear-winged sphinxes that can mainly be told apart by leg coloration–that is not visible in your photo.

So the app may be going with what closely-resembling insect is most common in your geolocation.

Identifying insects to species level can be tricky, and is really only necessary in this forum if the insect in question is a pest or pollinator specializing in one or a few plants.

On my blueberries. Coastal Massachusetts.

Look like woolly aphids to me.

3 Likes

If woolly aphid, will be capable of movement and when crushed will become gooey.

1 Like

Yes.

2 Likes

My biggest peach tree has this diseased area around the base of the vase structure. The bark has peeled back and its wet and nasty. My initial thought was borers but I don’t see any holes anywhere. Any thoughts?

It may be a type of canker? Though, I am not certain. It looks like there are gumming canker or perhaps borer wounds elsewhere on the tree ( top of closeup photo )

Thanks I’ll try to research cankers and see what I can do to help it

Looks like bark inclusions that got infected.

I planted and transplanted some dahlias the year before last, and last year many of them failed to come up. I dug up what I could find and planted them in bags. The other survivors look fine, but this one may have a virus? Could this have caused the others to die?
Obviously this one will not go into the raised bed I built this year, but how contagious is it? Will my other flower beds be contaminated for generations to come?

Friend or foe? It is on an apple tree.

Soldier beetle ?

3 Likes