Insect and Disease Identification Thread

Yes; perhaps this one although there are many look-alikes

3 Likes

Can anyone identify this damage or disease on Japanese plum tree? There is no gum. Despite the extent of damage, which also encompasses significant portions of branches as small as 1/8" diameter, the branches/tree appears to be thriving. Removing the area exposes reddish-purple region just under the bark. There was quite a bit of pealing bark from sun damage. All photo examples, except the single top-right image, are on the trunk.

Thank you @LarryGene and @Hillbillyhort.
It is hard for me to tell the difference between many of those.

1 Like

Anthracnose canker. The strings over the elliptical wound look pretty typical.

1 Like

Thanks! That’s too bad. Its so widespread, Including nearly around the entire base at the graft union, this tree, and others, are probably doomed. :disappointed:

I would appreciate help with bee ID.

2 Likes

This bee is a mason bee. However, I do not know which specific mason bee.

1 Like

Excellent shots but you really want one of the behind also straight on as well as the face if we get to be really picky. So many different bees it’s always hard to tell

1 Like

@YumYumTrees and @RichardRoundTree Thank you both for your reply. The pictures I was looking at of mason bees didn’t match up with these, but I found that there are around 140 different types of mason bees in North America. How many are found in Kansas, I haven’t determined yet.
I was trying to get all the angles but bees move fairly quickly. :slight_smile: They have their face buried down in the flowers most of the time too. After the wind settles down in a few days (30mph with gusts up to 50), I may get a chance to get some better pictures. thanks!!

1 Like

Leafcutter bee, if it is not a honey bee. Look for little ovals around the edges of your rosacea species. We had a bunch last year, but I may have destroyed their nests when I removed a dilapidated shed this Winter.

That also looks like a common honey bee. I have only seen honeybees and bumbles carry pollen on the legs.

2 Likes

Hard to say. Looks too furry for a mason bee. Does not look like a honeybee to me. Leafcutter bee is a good suggestion.

1 Like

Thank you Larry. I will still try get some better pictures. I am very interested in which species they are. They are very prolific and are doing a great job on the apple trees.

Try to provide some scaled measurement of the insect, like put a millimeter ruler over the same blossom that the insect was pictured on, then we can derive the size.

1 Like

How fuzzy where those back legs Im thinking Long-Horned bee : swatra

1 Like

Longhorn is a possibility.

“swatra”: Svastra is a genus of Long-horned bees. Only the males of this bee family have long antennae. The bee asked about appears to have normal-length antennae, so this is not a key ID feature in this case.

Ok that’s a very good idea. I will do that next time.

That’s hard to say with all the pollen everywhere. I will try get pictures in the morning when they begin foraging and maybe I can get some pics without so much pollen. Thank you for the photos too.

Inow think it is a species of andrenid bee. There are several that look like yours. I just saw a couple species in my yard.

1 Like

@nil
It can be difficult to get good pictures of many insects , because they are fast, don’t hold still very long.
I have found that catching them in Tupperware. Or netting , and placing in Tupperware , then putting in the refrigerator , or the freezer for just a few minutes, will slow them down enough for a good photo session , without lethal means .
Some can wake up surprisingly fast,
So a handy method to id some of the beneficials with out killing them.

2 Likes

I couldn’t see any bees out today anywhere I looked. One solitary bumble bee, but none of the smaller bees. It was really windy again today, it seems they don’t like that.

I had forgotten about that trick! Thanks for the reminder.

see this post (however my picture does not show now???)
Stony Pit Virus