Insect and Disease Identification Thread

The large and broad thorax on your weevil is distinctive, but I can’t readily find a species.

With a snout like that,looks like a weevil.

2 Likes

Some grain,rice or wheat weevils have that body shape.

1 Like

Foe squish it.

1 Like

Yes: Granary weevils represent a small genus.
https://bugguide.net/node/view/42723/bgimage?from=24
^ poke around in there; the swincher weevil is likely not the Granary weevil of stored pruducts, but one of the other species. Genus Sitophilus for sure. One of the data tab maps did have WA state filled in.
Thanks to Brady for the lead.

3 Likes

Got another bug on the avocados… this one has a leafhopper-ish look about it? Likes to wiggle its tail.

Could be a leafhopper nymph. If so, will try to evade being closely approached via scuttling movements to the other side of the leaf or stem.

1 Like

I was hoping someone here might help ID what the bug or disease that is slowly killing my Stanley Plum. The tree is about 25 years old and had been doing well until recently. The last year or two I noticed it wasn’t growing as well and for no obvious reason some branches just seem to die. This spring while doing clean-up I notices that the bark had peeled off on some of the dying branches. So I’ve included a few pics:

Can anyone here tell suggest what might cause these symptoms with this plum tree?

TIA.

They look like something chewed them. Were snow drifts high enough for rabbits to reach? I don’t know what porcupine damage looks like.

Are those branches low enough for bucks to rub against?

No antler rubs here; trees are in a fenced area, and these branches are not in an outside spot or low enough where antlered critters could get to them even if they got in.

Took a closer look at the bare areas again, and I see tiny “pathways” eaten into the tree, where it used to be under the bark. So I suspect some insect or its larva where munching those tiny tunnels. Just not sure if that what caused the original problem, or if they came after the limbs died. If this is any further clue.

Okay,some kind of borers.Probably beetle larva.

Apple, 2nd year in the ground, 3 different cultivars not growing super close to each other… All look like this, one grew like crazy last year whereas this and one other languished… But had good looking leaves and otherwise seemed fairly healthy all year. Thoughts?

1 Like

@wdingus

Round Up !

1 Like

Yeah I thought they looked kind of like Glyphosate overspray as well… But with dwarf trees at 6’ spacing the’re [fine, fine, terrible looking, fine, fine, fine]… I did spray some along a fence line, about 50’ from this spot, and on a no-wind day. Closest property line is a couple hundred feet so unlikely anything a neighbor has done. Perhaps there was some very specific wind that day which I didn’t detect. Ugh…

Thanks.

what did i do wrong spraying peaches with oil and immunox?

Probably nothing was done wrong,other than use a product that didn’t control the fungus that causes Peach Leaf Curl.

1 Like

Yes, peach leaf curl. Probably some copper spray to get rid of it. You have to spray to twice. Read the directions carefully. I had it once on my peach trees. The copper spray got rid of it then.

1 Like

It coincidentally showed up a week after I sprayed and immediately assumed I damage the tree some how. Thank you for the I’d!

I’m not sure this is a disease, deficiency, or just an odd growth habit. I noted that the new growth on a lot of my trees, especially red fleshed varieties, is yellowing. Has anyone else seen this before? Its been cool and rainy sprinkled with a few warm sunny days for weeks in my area.