Insect and Disease Identification Thread

Those are so UGLY looking leaves. WOW!

They look like someone sprayed them with Surround. Must be some sort of mildew.

What beatle is this?

@IL847

4 Likes

Yes, one of the more common dermestid beetles, sometimes called carpet beetles.
Attacks natural preserved tissues, leather, sinew. Serious pest of dried foods.
They come in from the outdoors; you do not want them in the house.

4 Likes

I found bunch of them one year in my garage ate my whole Smithfield ham. It can drill a hole in wood and hide too. Really have some strong teeth.

1 Like

Dermestid beetles are used in various professions to clean skeletal remains.
So if the Smithfield ham was boneless, it was a wasted effort by the beetles.

1 Like

Now I feel bad, I created a new post trying to save this thing. They do have surround on them due to heavy PC pressure. I take it I created a new issue trying to head off another.

It was a whole ham.before the beetles found it

Is this looking like PNRSV (prunus necrotic ring spot virus)? I sprayed from nutrient deficiency’s and it didn’t work, I saw on the web a similar pattern on the leaf that got me worried

What tree is this on?

1 Like

Sour cherry

It’s only on like two or three leaves but it had a suspicious pattern, at least this one, the other leaf looks like it has widespread chlorosis, I sprayed with 5 nutrients but didn’t help so…

Take those leaves off and see if it spreads. Put those leaves in a baggy and throw away in the trash.

Ok they are on the tips of new foliage, it won’t kill the stem or halt it from growing, also I don’t know what they did to the tree at the nursery but another twig has some holes in the leaves with a bit of necrotic spots, but I’ll start by pulling the two leaves

How do I prevent thrips from landing on my plant?

I had a question, there were red spots on cherries and now leaves, this pic was from about 2 weeks ago but the color and size of spots seem to be similar, what could this be?

Hi All,

My 4 year old orchard is just starting to produce, and the first tree to really get going is the bubblegum toka plum. It is covered in tiny plums the size of peas and I noticed that maybe 10% of them have insect damage like the ones I pulled off below. Who’s doing it? Haven’t sprayed anything yet and wasn’t planning on it this year since most of the trees aren’t loaded except for this one. There are so many baby plums that some insect thinning wouldn’t be the worst thing, but would I have any good fruit if I ignore the problem this year? Thanks

I would spray if I were you. If you don’t want poisons, try Surround kaolin spray. Surround with organic Spinosad added would be better yet. Bugs don’t like to share.

1 Like

Surround is a good choice, I should get some for myself I see a massive infestation coming in the next few years