Insect and Disease Identification Thread

I Touched it was sitting in the middle of leaf in the middle vein area, it after touching ran to the bottom of the leaf to the other side, stayed there for like 5 seconds and came back to exact original spot
I added an ultra fine net around that tree, so now they are trapped there forever, not necessarily a good thing

Leafhopper nymphs will deform new leaves. They are, for an insect, oddly confident on leaves, and can be readily squished.

2 Likes

Killed one but it’s not like I did anything, there are a bunch more, as long as they don’t have diseases within them I am ok them staying, just no new ones

So all leafhopper nymphs have that toxin? I thought it was just Potato Leafhoppers? Maybe some plants respond differently depending on the species?

DC: I do not know about leafhopper toxins. Any plant-sucking insect will deform plant leaves just by the physical damage that disrupts water flow through leaf veins, causing stunts or deformities, or via simple chew-holes.

1 Like

I had this show up in my magness pear. This is fireblight right? I’m hoping something else as it seems to be traveling from the trunk up. This would mean removing the whole tree. I already removed a while scaffold showing similar signs.

The fact that the leaf stems are not browning makes me think you just have shaded leaves that are not getting much energy and are getting diseased. So I would not be too worried at this point. Look for whole shoots dying back or black marks on the wood … then get worried!

Hey I have a question, what pear disease do I have here? I always thought it was pear scab, but I am now wondering if it is Fabraea Leaf Spot. I got it badly the last couple years so I started doing more disease spray on my pears and this year it is only in a few places I missed. So I’m not so worried about it ay more but want to make sure I have the right diagnosis. It doesn’t look like any pear scab picture I found, and it looks more like the Fabrea Leaf Spot pictures I found.

2 Likes

Adding to the leaf spot diagnosis list – does anyone recognize this issue on an avocado? It seems to be only affecting a single graft on a single tree, but about 2/3 of the leaves on that graft show these blobby necrotic patches:

Thanks I will look at the stems more closely in the future!

I realize now this is leaf scortch I think. We have had a bit of a drought and I did not water this tree.

Has anybody experienced any serious problems from the larvae? The adults look so cute, and will probably be beneficial since they may accidentally pollinate things

4 Likes

kaksamo has pictured one of the Clearwing Moths.

1 Like

My small, purple leaf crêpe myrtle plant has become infected by something. It looks like a white, fine powder that affects the terminal branches and leaves, and the leaf seem small and a little warped. Is there some kind of fungus? How would one treat it?

@kakasamo , I think powdery mildew

1 Like

Can anyone ID this insect for me, please?
It’s sitting on my I-115 persimmon graft.

I am thinking a type of assassin bug ?
If so , a good bug .

3 Likes

I call these hummingbird moths. Very cool little guys, not sure on the larvae damage. We welcome them in our pollinator garden.

1 Like

Probably due to excess moisture, crape myrtles like dry climates from my understanding. I have the dwarf ones in hanging baskets under the roof to limit rain.

If powdery mildew, you could start with a 50% milk/50% water spray and see how it goes.

1 Like

Yes, the GeneH bug is an assassin bug.

3 Likes

Is this chlorosis on my seckel pear?

It looks different than chlorosis on peach and apple trees. I’ve treated it twice with iron and once with a liquid fertilizer and it hasn’t changed in the last month.