Insect and Disease Identification Thread

Looks like sun burn

@speedster1

Everything seems to be out to destroy fruit this year.

1 Like

Have been seeing yellow spots on the leaves of my pear trees this year. Most of the trees have it to some degree, some more so than others. I have looked for signs of in insect but did not see anything obvious. I was wondering if any of the folks here had any ideas. Pics attached (sorry for the bad focus on these)

I don’t have a picture yet. but my bug Identification question.
This bug eats right at the stem in late season. The closest Google match is a centipede.
They run fast for a bug. They are on many apples but mostly like the space if two are left on the
same cluster and touch to make a cavity.

Centipedes would not be up in fruit trees, they are ground and crevice dwellers.
Centipedes do move by leg power, but it is more of a quick slither rather than a “run”.

Your description is more like that of an earwig.

Tap around on your tree, holding a jar underneath to trap the bug.

Yes Sir. After a little checking , I am sure that you are correct.
thanks

@Daemon2525 While earwigs may do some damage to fruit and other plants .
I have read that they do more good than harm , they eat lots of aphids and other thing that would be more of a problem without them .

need some help with a newly planted (earlier this summer) moonglow pear - is this fabraea leaf spot?

also is this crown rot at the base of the pear tree?

I asked the same questions to the extension agent here and will post their thoughts

thanks

Thank you for this information! They regularly munch my emerging avocado leaves, causing mostly superficial/cosmetic damage, so I usually squish them when I find them on the avocados, but now I’ll reconsider. I wish they’d eat soft scale, that’s my main greenhouse avocado pest at the moment, and squishing by hand has been my main control method. I see “scale insects” listed in that quote but so far I’ve seen no sign of it.

1 Like

In a similar vein, are slugs sometimes beneficial? I’m pretty sure this one is munching on soft scale:

Praying Mantis ootheca?

2 Likes

Yes, Praying Mantis.

Does anyone know what causes “strikes” like this on tomatoes? I had my 1-year-old in my arms or I would’ve cut one open to see what it looks like inside, I can go do that soon if that’ll help:

It’s hard to see in the photo, but they are both leaking juice from the holes.

Coaxed the little caterpillar out. Anyone recognize it?

Tomato fruit worm/corn earworm . Would be my guess .

2 Likes

Certainly a noctuid moth caterpillar, could be the Corn Earworm, if not over 1 inch long.

1 Like

I put the tomatoes with holes in a screened terrarium so I can see what moths they become (assuming they can make it to that point with the pile of tomatoes as food).

1 Like

Speaking of moths, here’s one that looks to have stopped on this leaf to have a drink, it has a creepy looking “face”:

1 Like