Insect and Disease Identification Thread

Certain Dung Flies have more similarities to the Swincher fly.

Size range for these is 3 to 11 mm.
But they may just be look-alikes, would need further research.

2 Likes

Interesting looking insect on an old cedar fence. Dead, maybe? Very odd pose otherwise.

1 Like

Bee Fly.Probably a white one.I didn’t know they were here.

1 Like

^Very common and ranges from coast-2-coast (click on Data tab).

The insect pictured may just be cold or roosting, as the extreme symmetry of the wings and legs are not typical of a death posture.

2 Likes

I was digging, loosening up the soil today and dug up these two bugs. I recall I have seen them before but have never tried to find out its name and good or bad bugs.
Please help identity it so I know one more bugs.thanks

1 Like

Could be a firefly larva. I quickly browsed the bugguide.net and fireflies larvae on the net; this one, for example, is similar, but it can also be another; start from there.

https://bugguide.net/node/view/606069

I feel like I’ve asked about this bug before, but maybe not… Seems to like hanging out on the only greenhouse avocado tree that has struggled with soft scale, perhaps eating their nectar? Or better yet, eating them?

Try Rhyparochromus or Raglius.

1 Like

Thank you! From a little googling, this looks like the closest match:

two year old granny Smith looking bad after winter. what is this? will dormant spray help? tips are dry and several are broken off. discolored trunk and bark

this tree has it worse, it’s a3 year old big box “golden delicious”

no leaves dropped last fall, it went from standard early autumn to freezing in two days.

Looks like deer damage to me. Where the deer have nibbled off the tips of the branches.

1 Like

we are in the city, with an 8 foot fence. no deer

the coloration concerned me

The appearance of the symptoms indicates that it is some type of necrosis (purple coloration), very possibly from a fungal pathogen or a combination of a pathogen and freezing of immature shoots. it is difficult to say with certainty without a closer analysis which one exactly. It could be (very tentatively) Diaporthe sp. (shoot blight). or…
If the trunk is also necrotic, I’m not sure anything can help.
For now, I would suggest removing all the diseased parts up to the healthy tissue (if there is anything left), spraying with copper and monitoring.

1 Like

I blame light pollution. Some of my trees seem to hang onto leaves much later “than necessary” or at least much longer than other trees do. It may have to do with my (somewhat) erratic pruning technique along with late fertilization which may prompt late season growth that doesn’t harden off. OTOH, looking back, it may be that that problem is not so bad nowadays as it once was. In which case it could be that the trees become less susceptible as they mature.

1 Like

I hope not but fear I know what this is and is to quickly lead to the trees death. Hope I’m wrong … The photos are of healthy and unhealthy wood, leaves, and immature fruit from an unknown cultivar of apricot. Anyone confident in the ID of the disease?

Some wood has this dieback of what were flowers, leaves and fruit. Others look ok and some of the died back wood is accompanied by blobs of mostly clear sap.

What is your opinion of what that is?
Looks fungal,maybe Monilia fruiticola,Brown Rot Blossom Blight.Was there a lot of rain,during flowering?
Are any other trees showing symptoms?

What I am thinking is Eutypa–dieback with leaves/blossoms still on and the gumming. The gumming is generally clear and not amber though, which I’ve read should be amber. I did some pruning this winter without realizing this is specifically advised against (Summer is recommended), and yes in this area and much of California we’ve had a very wet winter/spring period relative to our averages. No symptoms in other trees. The only other apricot I have is a small ~3 year old tree that’s still in a fabric pot… and I didn’t prune it.

Yes,that could be.I’ve heard of Eutypa dieback with Apricots,but fortunately,haven’t had to experience.
According to the U of Cal,pruning out diseased wood and then using a blowtorch on the wound helps.
At least there’s some fruit.Mine do get BRBB and then all the flowers are wiped out.

Yea… my worry is that while I didn’t get a good picture to show it, it’s exhibiting this pattern, though not across all small diameter branches, pretty much for some amount of branches from every single main lateral so seems as though there’s no way to cut back far enough without just taking the tree to the ground…

Can anyone confrim/deny that this is fireblight? I’m in zone 5 central-eastern new york, I am pretty certain some of the trees have it, I did not plant these, a week ago I removed the top half of a tree I am fairly certain had it in the bark, and pulled out a tree that had died behind it. Trees are just starting to leaf out and I want to start taking care of these trees. It has been extremely dry hot this spring, yesterday we hit 86. Mostly the uppermost leaves on the branches dead, is this just drought/heat stress or FB?

1 Like