Insect and Disease Identification Thread

I have two pear trees with pests… thinking an application of surround may help, but would love to know what these are:

Pear Tree 1 - curling leaves and color is pale. These guys were present:

Pear Tree 2 - Color is pale, and these guys were present:

Hybrid Plum tree - this pest (same as Pear 2) is present, though no apparent harm yet:

#1 has a caterpillar and aphid, both are bad in large number since they eat leaves or sap, resp.

#2 could be a psyllid (if so also a sap sucker). They’re hard to catch since they jump.

1 Like

The second picture looks like a Pear slug and the bottom two are of Sharpshooters.

1 Like

More specifically, a leafroller. Maybe Choristoneura rosaceana:

Looks more like a caterpillar to me than a sawfly larvae (pear slug), but it is a little out of focus so it’s hard to be sure.

2 Likes

@sockworth and @swincher - I haven’t ever seen that color of aphid here, but was thinking last night that it’s body looks like it, so thanks for confirming. We do get psyllid here, so maybe this is just a new variety.

Many thanks!

Okay,I enlarged the picture and it does look more caterpillar-like.

I saw a friend’s peach tree today, and it has some serious issues… saving it may be a challenge at this point. It is also more of a central leader form with a mature leader (maybe 15-20’ tall) and a secondary leader that is younger and has less issues, but not without issue.

I think I may be seeing either Peach Tree Borer + Cytospora Canker or just Cytospora Canker. Maybe something else?

What do you think?

My gut says best chance at this tree surviving is to cull the primary leader which isn’t a very useful form, though that will yield a very large wound.

Edit to add: it may be that that secondary leader is coming from below the graft union… it also appears to be oozing in the bottom 10" and also in the crotch.

Close-up:

It looks like my sour cherry was attacked by plum curculio. Something I didn’t know even happens.
I must admit, I sprayed the cherry only once and not very thickly with surround. My apricot took the surround beautifully, and even after the first go around, it was coated, chalky and thick enough that it would hopefully repel that little bastards,

I guess smooth and shiny fruits like plums or cherries, one needs some other adherent chemical in addition to the surround solution. I think you guys refer to it as a sticker.

Can you suggest to me where I can buy a quantity of a sticker?

Processing: IMG_9886.jpeg…
Uploading: IMG_9888.jpeg…
Uploading: IMG_9887.jpeg…

1 Like

The first image looks like PC (Plum Curculio) bites. Not sure on the holes.

1 Like

Uh, ackshually, the clay particles in Surround™ need to come loose from the fruit and stick to the bug to be effective (except as camouflage), so a “fruit and foliage sticker” is contraindicated.

1 Like

If you check a Surround bag, it says on the bag NOT to use sticker with it. Not only sticker will cause Surround clay not to flake (flaking is what is needed as flaking particles irritate those bugs). Sticker will also help Surround stick to skin of fruit very well, too well. Ask me how I know.

3 Likes

So, is this the dreaded PC?

It’s not quite shaped like the photos I see… And it’s not raised or depressed…yet.

Anyone?

Flavor Grenade pluot fruit.

No it doesn’t look like PC bite, which is distinctly crescent shaped. After the PC bite, the egg is inside, but I don’t think it’s deep. After it hatches I believe the grub tunnels deeper and then starts to eat. Gooey jelly begins extruding from the fruit.

I’ve been scratching out the PC bites before it hatches in hopes it removes the egg.

3 Likes

I may spray the tree with Captan and Immunox this weekend to try to cover a broad range of possibilities.

My clemson bags are being mailed next week.

I may also remove one of the few with the mark (maybe 3 out of 50) and cut it open to see if I see anything amiss.

Thanks, so how do you get a cohesive coat on smooth skin plums?

1 Like

@kakasamo My impression is that it gets on the limbs, leaves, etc which the insects walk on, start grooming themselves, and never get to the fruit. I’ve used it on smooth skinned fruit like plums with only sparse coverage on the actual fruit at best, but it was still effective.

2 Likes

Both Captan and Immunox are fungicide. I think Clemson suggests we spray insecticide and fungicide the day before bagging.

In my experience (several years of using clemson bags), timing is everything. If PC or any of the bugs laid eggs already, bagging will not help. When they first laid eggs, some wounds, esp. OFM and CM are hard to notice.

I know people bag plums with clemson bags, I don’t. The bags are too big for the fruit. I feel like it is a waste of bags. However, I have been able to re-use many bags for 2-3 years.

3 Likes

The rossn images above:

Of the hopping insects, it looks most like a froghopper. All the hoppers do the same damage and have the same controls.

On the caterpillar, note there is no feeding activity pictured typical of sawfly larva.

Leaf deformation typical of aphids.

No it’s leaf curling aphids. If you do not use Hort oil of some kind before bud break and before it leaf’s out, then the aphids curl the leaves making their defense. At this point once all blossoms are gone you have to use an insecticide several times with Hort oil to do any good.
Had this experience recently.
Dennis
Kent, wa

1 Like

Aphids could be put there by ants.