Insect and Disease Identification Thread

I agree with Clouded Plant Bug nymph for the Zendog image above. Note that this is a complex of species going under one general common name.

1 Like

I had to Google this. Brown rot? The protrusion may have been a bud, although it would have been dormant. This started a couple weeks ago, and the tree had already finished blossoming by the time I bought it in March. It’s hard to see in the pic because I think my camera tried adjusting the colors, but there is a discolored area under the protrusion that looks much darker in person.

I do have 3 golf ball to kiwi-sized peaches on the tree that look OK (so far).

Is this a squish or let it live? It’s on my honeyberry, which the aphids are currently also enjoying (I’m squishing the crap out of them)

I read about Google Lens and tried it for the first time on your critter.The ID came up as a member of the family, Trombidiidae,some kind of mite.
That could be correct,but not sure.I guess there are some big ones.

1 Like

Yeah I did the Google AI search with it, and it came back as a mite too. Not sure if it’s a good or a bad one. There are 2 spiders on my plant right now (looks like one of them is enjoying the aphids) so don’t wanna get rid of any predators.

Golden-backed Snipe Fly - chrysopilus-thoracicus

8 Likes

So I got home from offshore for a few days and found this on one of my newly planted grape vines.

I removed the grow tube for the photo and may keep it off for a bit.

Over watering? I had 7.76 inches of rain this week. Almost 5 inches Monday with about 2.5 last night.

I planted on a raised row to keep them out of standing water.

Anyone? This is the only 2 of 7 so far exhibiting this look.

It mostly gets into peaches, apricots and cherries during blooming and through the flowers, but often also through leaf/branch buds. Sometimes before and sometimes a week or three after blooming. Often around frosts. I have a few branches on my earlier apricot that have fruit but no/meager foliage due to monillia. I’d go for a fungicide, and in case it spreads even after, consider pruning. It may or may not be necessary. (Which I know doesn’t help. I make informed guesses based on the severity of damage and likelyhood of the vigour of the branch.)

This was growing on the end of one of my asian pears. What is it . . . why is it . . . and what should I do about it? (If anything.)
Is it normal? Only this one had an end like this. And these pics don’t show it like I see it . . . the little ‘spikes’ are orange.

1 Like

Likely a rust.
Similar to cedar Apple Rust.
Pear rust , quince rust…

4 Likes

EJh: Giant Velvet mites’ (12mm) range does not include MD.
Your specimen has the leg posture of a spider rather than a mite.

2 Likes

The “hairs” are most likely the fruiting bodies ofvpear rust. Normally, they grow on orange spots on the leaves.

2 Likes

Does this give fireblight vibes or just general insect damage/ blossom drop? Harrow Sweet pear; the poor thing is directly downwind of my neighbor’s long row of Bradford pears. The second picture is on my burgeoning central leader.

I’ve had really good luck with a little pocket LED loupe (10/30x) to decide if things are rusts, and to identify the tinier pests.

This is Pear cedar rust. (Fungal Disease). I have had the same issue with Hosui.

Here is how treated it last year, spray with copper and Lime in early spring after blossom and fruit set but it did not resolve the issue.

This year I sprayed with Copper, Lime, Captan & Myclobutanil, basically threw the book at fungus and yes I have beautifully formed hosui pear set with no signs of rust.

1 Like

For pear and apple rust, you only need to spray it with myclobutanil at petal fall once. If you are in a rainy area and want to be certain, you can repeat myclo 10-14 days later. That should work well on cedar apple rust and pear rust.

Copper and sulfur have other use but not effective for rust.

3 Likes

Hello, I have this issue from last season affecting several young pear trees, but only on honeysweet and flemish beauty varieties (there’s many other pear and apple varieties in the same area)

Fire blight is rare in my area and the damage doesn’t look like pic’s I’ve found online. Temps were never below ~ -20 C this winter.

Or is it a form of rust discussed here recently?

Possibly pear blister canker viroid disease (something I sumbled upon when tryng to identify a small canker on one of my pears).

1 Like

I would suspect pear scab

3 Likes

New seedling from a friend has all these black dots. I assumed were from bug excrement? But then after looking at the picture I’m not sure. I sprayed it all off with dawn and water then rinsed. Could that be a type of scale? It’s a Pomelo