Jujube from seed

Easy to grow Jujube rootstock from seed. Grown with little fertilizer, very cloudy weather and only 7 hrs sun when there was sun.

March 2018 Jujube seed.

Sept 2018 6 months later.

18 Likes

looks like it will start blooming soon, possibly next year

1 Like

That’s a cute little jujube tree! It’s going to be a big monster soon. I have one rootstock that sent out a couple new trees from the roots that I got from edible landscaping. My family asked what pricked them in the back when they were picking grapes and I looked closely and that one has some serious thorns. Some of my other rootstocks are not as thorny as that one. What are you going to graft yours over to? I’m thinking about leaving one of my favorite sour jujube to produce and of course produce seed also.

1 Like

I have two seedlings. I’ll graft one but I haven’t decided on variety. The other I’ll let grow.

3 Likes

How is this possible? I mean to grow jujubes from seed. I just cracked open a jujube pit to see what’s inside. Nothing. Two chambers but nothing in them. I was hoping to see a tiny seed inside the pit. Is it possible that not all the jujube pits contain a seed? Meaning not all varieties are growable by seed?

1 Like

There are some brand names jujube seeds are viable like HJ, Sugarcane, Li, and most rootstocks.

2 Likes

Are there some that don’t have viable seeds? Wondering if that’s what mine were.

2 Likes

Most Li have empty pits. My Chico has empty pits. The Autumn Beauty pits that I grew this year were empty. I have found Li seeds but have never had one germinate.

Katy

3 Likes

Nice job, they look to be fast growing!

I will post here photos of my attempt to get seedlings from the seed, so that I do not have to open a new topic. They sprout nicely and I move the pots outside to be in the sun as much as possible. Then the bad weather starts and the rain (whole summer) and the seedlings go to the veil so I put them on the terrace. Since a lot of humidity and little sunshine most started to wither and die, only 5 remains live. And to make matters worse I do not know now what species they are. Because in the beginning I took the photo with the names of the species next to the pots so I could identify them. And my cellphone was stolen and that photo gone to oblivion. But at least I have something after all. In coming years will see what is what. If nothing else then I will have the rootstocks for grafting.

!

6 Likes

@lilke, the tough ones survived. If those are recent pictures, I would give them some protection from the cold this winter.

1 Like

@danzeb Photos are from before, not so recent. I’ll take new ones tomorow. And it will not be outside, but inside in an unheated room.

1 Like

sc, hj, sihong, lafleur, ant admire, contorted, korean#1, and jin have good germination rates with open pollination here in las vegas

4 Likes

Here are the pictures from yesterday,larger seedlings are about foot tall (30cm )

4 Likes

Would you by any chance sell seeds?
I looked online for a source but didn’t find one.

3 Likes

we actually give them away, but are currently fully-booked with requests for 2018. How much do you need?

pm me aug or sept of 2019 :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just thought they would be an awesome addition, but don’t want to spend 50 bucks a tree. Any would be great, but might eventually like a fair number. Hubby says 100! 0_o
We just bought some land close to us and that means more area we can plant.
Your videos sure showcase Jujube as an amazing and productive tree!

3 Likes

I might have some seed too by then. We can coordinate with @jujubemulberry. I have a young Spinoza that this is the first year to produce…as about an 18-20 month old plant… that has given me 60-70 fruit for seeds. I’m not going to graft to it but keep it for seed production at least for a while. Because of the shortage of seeds available I think this is the way to go. Raf has been very generous with a lot of people with fruit and seeds. Hopefully I can pay it forward.

Katy

3 Likes

i see you are in zone 7, so should be ok to grow from seed for rootstock, then graft, and be the one to sell for 50 bucks a tree :wink:

well your intentions indicates that you’re already doing that! And my next ambitious project is to try mass-producing desirable cultivars from seed and broadcast them to as many people as suckers/root cuttings, and obviously you are one of the ideal initial intended recipients :slightly_smiling_face: Who, in turn, would broadcast suckers to the next juju aficionado who might be interested, so that sooner or later, desirable juju cultivars growing on their own roots will outnumber those with thorny rootstock.

5 Likes

Usually eBay has jujube seed for sale.

1 Like