Jujubes- Our New Adventure

I have been to Joblin Missouri a few times for the Marian’s day in Carthage Missouri. Nice quiet town. Why Joblin? It is a lot colder than California.

Yes. All my other trees are caged. They are a real pain. So whatever I buy now, I try to get above deer.

2 Likes

I grew up in SW Missouri. My wife and son like that area.

4 Likes

Marian days are a blast. You can actually buy jackfuit and a few other tropical fruits there, but I have never seen jujubes in SW MIssouri. I think it would be fun to sell jujube fruit at farmers markets in that area.

2 Likes

Definitely, If you can supply a
1000 lbs of sweet and crunchy Honey Jar Jujubes, they will be sold out on that weekend. 100, 000 Vietnamese in Carthage, Mo every 1st Weekend of August for the Marian pilgrimage and loved to eat any tropical fruits. I saw a semi truck of Jack fruits sold out in a day. Lol.

4 Likes

My jujubes are on raised bed so they are “tall” to begin with. After only 3 years, they are getting quite tall now. I don’t think I will let it grow to full size. It’s hard to harvest fruit high up.

May need to invest in a good fruit picker.

4 Likes

Katy, I am a little over 50 miles from the coast now. Still a ways from you but closer than anyone here except Ike. I assume my harvest date will be about a week before yours.

1 Like

That would probably be about right. You’ll have to let me know when yours are ready.

Another new cultivar bought here in California. Here’s a photo of the Chinese name -

And here’s the fruit, which has pretty good size for this time of year -

10 Likes

Another Chinese cultivar -

And the fruit -

8 Likes

Frog -

10 Likes

Castanea,
Are you trees in pots? Will you move them with you when you move? I imagine it’d be very hard to leave those lovely trees behind.

3 Likes

Porterville - the fruit has a sweet/sour flavor and can get pretty large. Not many people seem to have it anymore.

7 Likes

Yes, they are in pots and I will take them with me.

5 Likes

The first chinese word is: winter
2nd one is: Da Bai Ling ( name of the location).

7 Likes

Good to know. Thank you!

1 Like

Wow Vegas Spicy sounds amazing!!!

1 Like

have to say it is more of a curio than a dessert-quality cultivar, but yes, am in a hurry to broadcast budwood to as many folks as quickly as i can.

it really is spicy, so quite a departure from most other varieties.

2 Likes

I am going to have fruit this year from

Li from

1. Burnt Ridge
  2. Raf/Vegas
  3. England’s orchard

Will there be a difference?

Autumn Beauty from

1. OGW
  2. Raf/Vegas

Winter Delight from

1. JF&E
  2. Castanea/Cali
10 Likes

I must show some photos of mine plants :sunglasses:
I read everyday what are you posting and showing and that’s great. I’m thinking that this is the most live thread on forum :roll_eyes:
I have 2 plants, shanxi li and tigertooth. Last year I had few fruits from both but nothing special.
Back then they was full of flowers but without fruit set. This year I fertilize them with cow manure, and later with nitrogen fertilizer. Tigertooth have a lot of new growth, other not so much. But they are packed with flowers! I’m watering them every few days cause we have very hot and dry days now. And I must say finally after very cold and rainy spring. From all plants-seeds im working on this year jujubes are the best performers. Their flowers have wonderful scent.

this is tigertooth

And this shanxi li. As shown they have a lot of frutlets and im hopping that I will have fruit for consumption this year :yum:
I also have about 40 small seedlings of z.spinosa from seed. Maybe I will be lucky to have dozen of varieties in coming years. I can’t wait.

And in the end one question. Do anyone know if there are some good variety for alcohol production? In my country we have a tradition of making homemade “rakija”, but last few years plums suffer a lot from late frosts and we dont have enough fruit. Sometimes there is none. I’ve already removed dozens of plums from that reason. So if there is some good variety im willing to try to make rakija from jujubes :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

6 Likes