Jujubes- Our New Adventure

Ahh you’re killing me with these photos :drooling_face:
Now I realize that I want many varieties,at least a dozen. Is it too many plants? :grin:

5 Likes

You will get there someday. I got Fifteen 2 years old HJ seedlings on trial and 6 productive Honey Jar jujube trees and 4 multi grafted jujube trees with 10 plus varieties.

Tony

Here is a photo of one the Honey Jar seedling with fruits. Possibly a keeper .

Tony

I hope the fruits taste better than its parent HJ crossed with something. 10 plus varieties.

Real HJ

11 Likes

GI 1183. Very productive. Despite Roger Meyer’s description that this produces an excellent fruit, the fruit on mine has always been forgettable. It’s very late so not a good one for short growing seasons. Does anyone in LAS VEGAS or TEXAS grow it?

8 Likes

I don’t have it. Lol. Mine are all babies anyway. @Bhawkins might.

Btw what do you do with copious forgettable fruit?:flushed:

I’ve never tried it. Doesn’t seem to get good reviews.

1 Like

The fruit dries and the critters eat it, unlike che fruit which nothing will eat.

2 Likes

I just keep thinking that it might do well in a different climate.

1 Like

First Orange Beauty fruits this year -

10 Likes

I suppose your right, it should be more widely tried since R Meyer like it. I’m glad you have a tree so the variety won’t disappear.

1 Like

I don’t mind trying it…I have plenty room.

3 Likes

Let’s try to remember to get you some wood. I will probably be moving in December so that’s the last chance I will get to send out wood.

2 Likes

Do you have a list of all your trees? Perhaps we could get wood from your rare varieties

1 Like

I don’t have a list. I probably have at least 40 cultivars. The nice thing is that Cliff England probably has almost everything I have, except for maybe one of two, and other people have those.

4 Likes

Blows away my 15 or so cultivars!

2 Likes

:scream: whoooa man. You’re my idol :grin:

3 Likes

Thank you, but jujubes are my second love. Don’t ask how many chestnut cultivars I have.

6 Likes

Surprisingly tasty jujubes. They have a complex flavor.

15 Likes

They allso have an interesting shape

1 Like

Most jujubes with interesting shapes don’t have very good flavor so these surprised me.

3 Likes

I’ve been considering adding jujubes next year but haven’t eaten them. I was excited when I found these at a local Asian supermarket, but they are pretty bland and only a little sweet. Now I’m thinking of drying them to intensify the flavor, but wondering if I should leave them for a few days to get riper. Do they get riper sitting around?

3 Likes