Late summer grafting or budding

I ran across an interesting pear this weekend. I don’t know the variety bit it is soft, jucy, very flavorful, and tart. I took a couple of this year twigs that have large buds at the he base of the leaves. I realized the proper procedure would be to bud these on a small rootstock. The caliper is so small (1/8 inch) and my rootstock is about the same. Can I just do a whip and tongue graft and expect the bud to stay dormet until next year or will it start growing this year? It would be much easier to graft than bud. I have removed the leaves on my Scion.

1 Like

Try chip budding ?

2 Likes

Both the Scion and the rootstock are so small I don’t know if I can suscessfully do it. Same year wood doesn’t slip well.

1 Like

If you have a bit larger rootstock you can try a side veneer graft

1 Like

Grafting - splice, wt is usually waste of time during this time of year unless the scionwood is dormant (leftover from spring etc.). Chip budding is way to go even with small buds. It doesn’t matter if you cut across the whole width of the rootstock. The bud will stay dormant unless you force it to grow (cut above the bud) which is often done in June and July but it’s kind of late in the season now (don’t forget it takes another 10-14days to fuse) and the new growth won’t have enough time to lignify so better leave it dormant till the next spring.
If you still decide to graft, better do it in full shade (pot is best, so you can move the plant around).
Leave 2, preferably 3 buds so at least 1 will stay dormant and survive the winter.

1 Like

I have successfully chip grafted suckers of this size but earlier in the summer. I also managed to force it to push but because of @fruitnut 's water deficit idea, it is on a pause.

1 Like

So I think it’s unanimous, the only way to keep the Scion dormet until next spring is to have a growing bud or leaf above it. I was hoping maybe this late in the year it would stay dormet until chilled.

1 Like

Yes, that’s correct. You still got probably about 1.5 months of growing season ahead of you so it would sprout. There is no way it will sprout if you chip bud somewhere in the lower part of rootstock.

1 Like

Pear is pretty easy to graft. Chip budding will stay dormant till next spring. Cleft or whip grafting possibly will grow a little bit, most possibly stay dormant.
I am doing Fall grafting now.

1 Like

Sophia, are you doing fall grafting or budding?

1 Like

It depends, I T-budded some peaches last weekend onto green shoots (grafting high for deer protection) and the wood was slipping well. I did 50-50 chip budding and T budding and will see how the results compare. Chip budding doesn’t need the wood to slip so that is what I usually do, but some of the scions are a bit weak and I thought T might be a bit better for those.

2 Likes

I guess I’ll do a mixture of Tee and chip.

3 Likes

Mostly Chip budding.
I use upside T-budding with orange。

2 Likes

I found budding with peaches apricots in the fall has very high percentage of success.
I did some in the August, 100% success.

4 Likes

I did two chip buds last night. I’ll see how it comes out.

2 Likes

You and me both! I did two chip buds and one cleft graft last night. I’ve been trying to graft Williams pride onto my Yello transparent since last fall. It keeps failing. I’m doing well with everything else but can’t seem to get this one right.

1 Like

I did some t-buds on apples awhile back (3), they failed. Then I chip budded them, about the 20th of September I’ll know if they took.

1 Like

I chip bud persimmons in the spring with good success .
And have chip budded apples and peaches in late summer / fall with good luck .
Last year I tried chip budding persimmon in late summer , with poor results , some took , most failed .

Anyone have good luck fall chip budding persimmons ?

2 Likes

Persimmons are pretty sensitive to coldness. A lot of varieties can’t survive the winter in 6B. I wonder how you expect new grafts in the fall can be so tough to go through winter.

1 Like

I have many American persimmon varietys that are perfectly cold hardy here . If the chip buds " take " in late summer / fall they survive winter fine.
Just had bad luck with " takes" last year.( late summer/ fall)
Some did good , just a low percentage.
And wondered if anyone has a " good " report.?

2 Likes